Messi justifies resignation of Argentina coachOctober 18th, 2008 - 1:10 pm ICT by IANS
Barcelona/Buenos Aires, Oct 18 (DPA) Argentine striker Lionel Messi argued that “perhaps a change was needed” to justify Alfio Basile’s resignation as Argentina coach just hours earlier.”When things do not go well, it is better to make changes. The national team had not been playing well and perhaps a change was needed,” Messi said Friday as he arrived in Barcelona.
He played in Argentina’s 0-1 defeat to Chile Wednesday in Santiago in the South American qualifiers for the 2010 World Cup in South Africa - a match that sealed Basile’s resignation late Thursday. Argentina has won only one of its last seven games in the qualifiers.
Messi’s attacking team-mate Sergio Aguero said in Madrid: “Yes, it is a surprise. I was not expecting it, but we have to respect his decision.”
Messi said he favoured Sergio Batista as Argentina’s next coach. Batista, coach of the national junior teams, recently led the South American country’s team that won the Olympic gold medal in Beijing this year.
“I know him and I know the way he works. I have confidence in him and in his staff. He would be good,” Messi said.
The Argentine daily Clarin, however, pointed to Miguel Angel Russo, who currently coaches the Buenos Aires club San Lorenzo, as the main favourite to succeed Basile.
The Argentine Football Association has reportedly held talks with Russo’s team, although they would wait till the end of the current Argentine football tournament - led by San Lorenzo - for Russo to take over the national team.
Argentina is set to play a friendly on Nov 19 against Scotland. The World Cup qualifiers will continue in late March.
- I would like to coach Argentina, says Maradona (Lead) - Oct 18, 2008
- Basile is Club de Avellaneda boss for 4th time - Dec 27, 2011
- Messi backs Batista as national coach - Sep 07, 2010
- Messi always gives more than his best for national team: Zabaleta - Sep 01, 2011
- All set for Messi magic Friday - Sep 01, 2011
- Argentina football coach steps down after loss to Chile - Oct 17, 2008
- Argentina's Zanetti, Cambiasso, Gago to miss World Cup - May 12, 2010
- Not playing Messi will be a sin: Maradona - Jun 21, 2010
- Messi to captain strong Argentina side in Kolkata - Aug 19, 2011
- Maradona to have fresh contract talks with Argentine Football Association chief - Jul 26, 2010
- It is a dream come true to coach Argentina: Sabella - Aug 31, 2011
- I will always play for Argentina, says Messi - Jul 15, 2011
- Argentina crush world champs Spain 4-1 - Sep 08, 2010
- Argentina face Paraguay in World Cup qualifier - Sep 07, 2012
- Messi welcomes Maradona's appointment as Argentina coach - Oct 30, 2008