Message to the nation from PM today (Lead)December 31st, 2011 - 1:16 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Dec 31 (IANS) Prime Minister Manmohan Singh will deliver a message to the nation later Saturday, a prime minister’s aide said.
He will however not address the nation. His message will be released in the form of a statement from his office on New Year’s eve, the aide said.
The message is likely to spell out the future direction of the government and its policy priorities mid-way through his second five-year term that ends in 2014.
Later, the prime minister, accompanied by his wife Gursharan Kaur, is scheduled to leave for Amritsasr.
With his government having faced a tough year politically, the prime minister wants to usher in the new year with prayers at the Harmandar Sahib, the holiest of Sikh shrines, popularly known as the Golden Temple.
A similar message to the nation, in form of “musings”, was used by Manmohan Singh’s predecessor, Atal Bihari Vajpayee, to spell out his thoughts on issues of the day at the yearend.
- PM to begin New Year with prayers at Golden Temple - Dec 31, 2011
- PM arrives in Amritsar; to pray at Golden Temple Sunday (Lead) - Dec 31, 2011
- PM offers prayers at Golden Temple on New Year - Jan 01, 2012
- PM shown black flags by Anna supporters outside Golden Temple - Jan 01, 2012
- PM to give message to the nation Saturday - Dec 31, 2011
- PM begins new year with prayers at Golden Temple (Lead) - Jan 01, 2012
- PM, BJP leaders greet Vajpayee on his 87th birthday - Dec 25, 2011
- Obama's Golden Temple visit: Punjab seeks PM's help - Oct 23, 2010
- Vajpayee turns 88 amid health concerns - Dec 23, 2011
- Anonymous caller threatens to kill PM, Vajpayee - May 04, 2011
- Vajpayee also indicted in 2G scam, Congress tells BJP - Jul 26, 2011
- Advani sting: People upset with BJP too (Lead) - May 31, 2012
- NDA PM should be like Vajpayee: Sushil Modi - Jun 19, 2012
- Obama's Golden Temple visit: Punjab seeks PM's help (Lead) - Oct 23, 2010
- BJP should always respect Vajpayee, says kin - Dec 25, 2011
Tags: eve, golden temple, kaur, manmohan, manmohan singh, mid way, musings, New Delhi, new year, policy priorities, prayers, predecessor, prime minister manmohan, prime minister manmohan singh, sikh shrines, usher, vajpayee