Mercury rises in Himachal but snow expectedJanuary 24th, 2012 - 8:34 pm ICT by IANS
Shimla, Jan 24 (IANS) The hills of Himachal Pradesh Tuesday saw a further rise in the maximum temperature with bright sunshine bathing them on the second consecutive day. But the Met Office has forecast chances of rain and snowfall in the next two days.
“There are chances of rainfall and snowfall in the state Jan 25 and 26,” a weatherman told IANS.
He said what are called western disturbances - storm systems originating from the Mediterranean Sea and moving across the Afghanistan-Pakistan region into northern India - would be active again in the region.
Keylong, headquarters of Lahaul and Spiti, was the coldest in the state recording a minimum temperature of 14.7 degrees Celsius below the freezing point.
Shimla recorded the night temperature at 1.9 degrees, whereas the maximum was 14.9 degrees, a rise from Monday’s 13.1 degrees.
Kalpa in Kinnaur district recorded a low of minus 5.6 degrees and the maximum of a mere 3.9 above the freezing point. While the minimum was minus 4.6 degrees and the maximum of 8 degrees in Manali, and Dharamsala was relatively warm at 3.5 degrees minimum and 15.8 degrees maximum.
- Himachal braces for more snow, rain - Feb 16, 2012
- Mercury up but snow in store in Himachal - Feb 19, 2012
- Himachal's Keylong sees season's heaviest snow - Mar 05, 2012
- Mercury plummets across Himachal Pradesh - Jan 21, 2012
- More snow in Manali, Kalpa and higher reaches of Himachal - Jan 26, 2012
- Mild snowfall in Shimla, Manali - Mar 08, 2012
- Himachal sees rise in mercury but rain, snow expected - Feb 03, 2011
- Manali wrapped up in white blanket - Dec 10, 2011
- Himachal braces for rain, snow - Jan 02, 2012
- Avalanche warning issued in upper Himachal - Feb 12, 2011
- Himachal slightly warmer but snowfall expected - Dec 18, 2011
- Shimla gets more snow - Jan 11, 2012
- It's snowing Valentine's fun in Himachal - Feb 13, 2012
- More snow in Himachal, high alert in state (Lead) - Jan 15, 2012
- Fresh snow in Himachal, cold wave unabated - Feb 04, 2012
Tags: afghanistan pakistan, bright sunshine, chances of rain, freezing point, himachal pradesh, jan 24, manali, maximum temperature, mediterranean sea, mercury, minimum temperature, night temperature, northern india, rainfall, snowfall, spiti, storm systems, weatherman