Mercury dips, Himachal lakes begin to freezeNovember 12th, 2011 - 1:00 pm ICT by IANS
Shimla, Nov 12 (IANS) Most of the natural lakes in Himachal Pradesh’s higher reaches have started freezing as snowfall in the past few days has brought down the temperatures, the weather department said here Saturday.
In the interiors of Lahaul and Spiti, Kinnaur, Chamba and Kullu districts, the night temperatures have been below the freezing point, a met official said.
The Chandertal, Surajtal, Prashar and Manimahesh lakes have started freezing.
While the oval-shaped Manimahesh lake is located in Chamba district, Chandertal or moon lake and Surajtal or sun lake are in Lahaul and Spiti district. The Prashar lake is situated at a height of 9,000 ft in Mandi district.
Reports said the 475-km-long Manali-Leh highway remained blocked for several hours in Lahaul and Spiti district Friday after heavy spells of snow.
The Rohtang Pass (13,050 ft) and the Baralacha Pass (16,020 ft) located on the highway experienced fresh spells of snowfall.
Traffic on the Saach Pass, located at an altitude of 14,500 ft in Chamba district, was restored Saturday after a day’s closure due to snowfall.
Kalpa, the picturesque town some 250 km from Shimla, Saturday recorded a low of 3.2 degrees Celsius, while it was 3.8 degrees in Manali and 13.3 degrees in Dharamsala.
However, Shimla and its surrounding areas have been experiencing sunny days even as the nights are cool. The town recorded a low of 10.3 degrees.
The Met office predicts mainly clear weather across the state till Monday.
- High-altitude Himachal lakes begin to freeze - Oct 27, 2010
- Himachal shivers, Shimla has season's coldest night - Jan 06, 2012
- Himachal shivers, taps freeze in Shimla (Lead) - Jan 16, 2011
- Himachal shivers, Shimla sees coldest night of season - Jan 16, 2011
- Shimla, Manali get snowfall, mercury dips (Lead) - Feb 16, 2011
- Lakes freeze in Himachal Pradesh, temperature plummets - Nov 16, 2009
- Mild snowfall in Shimla, Manali - Mar 08, 2012
- More snow, Shimla records season's lowest temperature - Jan 09, 2012
- Manali wrapped up in white blanket - Dec 10, 2011
- Snow to add to Himachal's New Year's Eve festivities - Dec 26, 2010
- Fresh snow in Himachal, cold wave unabated - Feb 04, 2012
- Heavy snowfall in Himachal throws life out of gear but cheers fruit farmers (Lead) (With Images) - Jan 09, 2012
- Himachal's Keylong sees season's heaviest snow - Mar 05, 2012
- Severe cold in Himachal, rain disrupts flights - Feb 15, 2011
- Severe cold in Himachal, snowfall disrupts flights (Lead) - Jan 15, 2011
Tags: altitude, chamba district, closure, dips, freezing point, himachal pradesh, kullu, lahaul and spiti district, manali, moon lake, night temperatures, picturesque town, reaches, snowfall, spells, spiti, sun lake, sunny days, weather across, weather department