Merc Benz, a 1971 war booty, located at Eastern CommandNovember 18th, 2010 - 7:58 pm ICT by IANS
Kolkata, Nov 18 (IANS) A Mercedes Benz, a war booty from the 1971 India-Pakistan clash that led to the liberation of Bangladesh, has been traced to the Eastern Command headquarters here.
The car was used to drive down Pakistan Army Commander Lt.General A.A.K. Niazi to the Dhaka airport to receive then general officer commanding-in-chief of Eastern Command, Lt. General J.S. Arora ahead of the Pakistan Army’s historic surrender Dec 16, 1971.
The vehicle was the staff car of Lt. Gen. Niazi.
“The car has been located. It is in the charge of the Eastern Command,” an army source told IANS here.
The car, which was used by the general officer commanding-in-chiefs of the Eastern Command till some time back, was reported to be missing.
As per media reports, the car was missing and could have been “scrapped” and auctioned off or taken “off records” to avoid any controversy.
“The car is very much in a serviceable condition. So, it’s not true that it has been scrapped,” the source at the Eastern Army Command said.
- Bangladesh thanks India for supporting 'just' war - Dec 16, 2011
- Bangladesh pays tribute to martyrs on Victory Day - Dec 16, 2011
- India remembers war heroes on 40th anniversary of 1971 war - Dec 16, 2011
- Indian, Bangladeshi war heroes celebrate victory day - Dec 16, 2011
- 25 Bangladeshi's to attend 40th anniversary celebrations of '71 war - Dec 07, 2011
- Army chief visits Ladakh - Nov 05, 2011
- Lt. Gen. Ghosh takes over as army's Western Command chief - Dec 03, 2009
- SC dismisses plea against Lt. Gen. Bikram Singh (Second Lead) - Apr 23, 2012
- Bikram Singh will be next Indian Army chief (Lead) - Mar 03, 2012
- India's first field marshal Sam Manekshaw remembered - Apr 03, 2012
- Army's northern command gets new chief - Jan 01, 2011
- Army in Kashmir pays tribute to martyrs on Vijay Diwas - Dec 16, 2011
- Omar, top army officer discuss Kashmir situation - Jan 16, 2011
- Uncertainty over Indian Army chief's age rages - Dec 26, 2011
- Pakistan war-gaming to counter India's military plan - Jun 05, 2011
Tags: army command, army commander, bangladesh, chiefs, clash, command headquarters, controversy, india pakistan, kolkata, liberation, lt general, merc, mercedes benz, niazi, pakistan army, serviceable condition, staff car, surrender, war booty