Mentally-challenged woman’s rapist identifiedDecember 14th, 2010 - 7:07 pm ICT by IANS
Chandigarh, Dec 14 (IANS) The man who in May last year raped a mentally-challenged woman living in a government shelter for destitutes here and even made her pregnant has been identified through DNA sampling, forensic officials said Tuesday.The culprit has been identified as Chottu Ram alias Madho Ram, a guard at the government-run Nari Niketan (shelter for destitute women), according to the Central Forensic Science Laboratory (CFSL) report.
“The CFSL report has confirmed that the victim was raped by Chottu Ram. The DNA samples of Chottu have matched with the samples of the baby girl. We have submitted this report in the court,” said Rajiv Giroti of the CFSL.
This infamous rape case had shaken this union territory in May last year. The matter came to light after the 20-year-old woman developed pregnancy-related complications.
Chottu, who is a native of Kangra district in Himachal Pradesh, is married and has two children.
He was arrested by the police in December 2009. So far police have arrested six accused, including two women, for their involvement in the rape.
The Chandigarh administration went to the Punjab and Haryana High Court, seeking permission for medical termination of the woman’s pregnancy on the grounds that she was not capable of looking after her child. The court allowed the plea but its decision was appealed in the apex court.
The Supreme Court in July 2009 overruled the high court’s orders and allowed the mentally challenged victim to carry on with the pregnancy following expert advice that the mentally challenged mother could take care of the child.
The woman gave birth to a girl in December 2009.
- Nine get 10 years jail for rape - Apr 09, 2012
- Mentally-challenged rape victim delivers baby - Dec 03, 2009
- Two teen-aged Nari Niketan girls attempt suicide - Feb 16, 2010
- Court orders abortion of mentally-challenged rape victim - Jul 17, 2009
- Aarushi case: Forensic scientist's cross-examination on - Aug 24, 2012
- Controversy over custody of mentally challenged rape victim in Chandigarh - Oct 02, 2009
- Scandals to protests, Hooda gets busy this summer (Haryana Newsletter) - Jul 06, 2012
- Andhra police question CRPF men for rape - Nov 15, 2011
- Court asks doctors to decide on abortion for rape victim - Jun 09, 2009
- Abandoned HIV positive woman finds succour in Delhi shelter (With Image) - Jul 11, 2012
- Supreme Court against abortion for mentally challenged rape victim (Lead) - Jul 21, 2009
- ID incomplete: Punjab man's quest for his identity - Aug 07, 2009
- Woman delivers stillborn baby in hospital lab - Jul 21, 2010
- Apex court faces tricky question on motherhood - Jul 20, 2009
- Chandigarh rejects aid for mentally challenged rape victim - Oct 12, 2009
Tags: apex, apex court, baby girl, cfsl, chandigarh administration, culprit, destitute women, dna samples, dna sampling, expert advice, forensic science laboratory, medical termination, old woman, plea, punjab and haryana high court, rajiv, rape case, rapist, two women, union territory