Menezes’ position in jeopardy after Brazil’s Olympic lossAugust 13th, 2012 - 6:15 pm ICT by IANS
Rio de Janeiro, Aug 13 (IANS) Brazil’s football confederation (CBF) has refused to guarantee the future of under-pressure coach Mano Menezes.
Menezes, who is one of the few international coaches to be also in charge of his country’s under-23 team, has faced calls for his sacking after Brazil’s 1-2 loss to Mexico in Saturday’s Olympics final, Xinhua reports.
“The team is on the right track but that doesn’t mean Mano will stay,” CBF vice-president Marco Polo Del Nero told Terceiro Tempo Sunday.
“I’m not the one who will decide. It will be president Jose Maria Marin who has the final word. The position is open, which is how it should be at times like this.”
Among Menezes’ possible replacements are Santos manager Muricy Ramalho and Brazil’s 2002 World Cup-winning coach Luiz Felipe Scolari.
Despite reports of his impending dismissal, Menezes said he was confident he would be given the chance to continue.
“The balance from the Olympics has still been positive despite the fact we didn’t win the final,” Menezes said.
“By turning our attention to the World Cup and putting our principal team on the pitch we can restart our preparation.”
- Scolari says he is 'unwanted' for 2014 World Cup - Aug 25, 2012
- Brazil's World Cup-winning coach in demand - Apr 17, 2012
- Romario asks government to sack national coach - Sep 21, 2012
- Menezes accepts offer to coach Brazil - Jul 24, 2010
- Palmeiras defeats Coritiba to win Copa do Brasil - Jul 12, 2012
- Brazil to play five friendlies in preparation for Olympics - Jan 13, 2012
- Brazil starts preparations for Confederations Cup - Aug 15, 2012
- Brazil to play three strikers at Olympics - Jul 17, 2012
- Brazil's Olympic team rubbish: Romario - Jul 06, 2012
- Brazil sacks coach Dunga, three others - Jul 05, 2010
- Palmeiras sack coach Scolari - Sep 14, 2012
- Ronaldinho in Brazil squad, Kaka out - Feb 15, 2012
- Striker Fabiano recalled to Brazil squad - Sep 12, 2012
- Alves tells Brazil to forget Olympic defeat - Aug 15, 2012
- Brazil coach Menezes vows to win 2014 World Cup - Apr 09, 2012
Tags: brazil, cbf, del nero, felipe scolari, final word, football confederation, international coaches, jeopardy, jose maria marin, mano, marco polo, olympic loss, olympics, pitch, president marco, replacements, rio de janeiro, vice president, world cup, xinhua