Members of disbanded Team Anna quietAugust 6th, 2012 - 7:09 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Aug 6 (IANS) Members of Anna Hazare’s team were Monday reluctant to talk to the media on the activist’s sudden announcement in his blog of the disbandment of the grouping whose anti-corruption campaign had galvanised millions.
Hazare in his blog said that Team Anna has been disbanded and the work that had started in its name has ended with his team members deciding to go in for a political alternative.
“Annaji has written everything in the blog; there is nothing to add, for more information regarding the decision only Anna can talk,” Manish Sisodia, Team Anna member, told IANS.
Kiran Bedi, a key Team Anna member, tweeted: “Read Anna’s blog. Do not know what all it means? For we all had very useful preparatory meeting with Annaji wherein he gave useful guidance!”
Meanwhile, Aswathi Muralidharan, India Against Corruption (IAC) media coordinator, said: “Annaji had conducted a brief meeting yesterday (Sunday) with the team members. All the Team Anna members were kept in the loop on the decision to disband Team Anna.”
Hazare, who said he would be travelling across the country to “awaken people”, wrote in his blog: “Today we end the work of Team Anna.”
“Team Anna was formed to work for the Jan Lokpal. We have decided not to keep any relations with the government. So the work that started in Team Anna’s name has ended here and the Team Anna committee also ends here,” Hazare said in Hindi.
The team had Friday announced that it would join the political mainstream to continue its fight against corruption.
In Bangalore, N. Santosh Hegde, former Supreme Court judge and ex-Team Anna member, told a news channel that he was surprised by the decision to disband the group.
“I was against the political move… If at all it his decision to go in for a political party, he must have decided to end the group.”
- Disbanding Team Anna was collective decision, say members (Lead) - Aug 06, 2012
- Anna disbands Team Anna, leaders perplexed (Roundup) - Aug 06, 2012
- Anna disbands Team Anna, colleagues perplexed (Intro Roundup) - Aug 06, 2012
- Anna, team stand 'separated' - Sep 19, 2012
- Anna, team stand 'separated' (Second Lead) - Sep 20, 2012
- Team Anna volunteers gear up for fast - Jul 23, 2012
- Anna may end vow of silence Friday, come to Delhi - Nov 03, 2011
- Police battle anti-graft protesters outside PM's house, Hazare for second freedom movement (Intro Roundup) - Aug 27, 2012
- Team Anna disbanded - Aug 06, 2012
- Team Anna meets in Delhi to decide future strategy - Sep 19, 2012
- Anna Hazare group meets in Delhi to decide future strategy (Lead) - Sep 19, 2012
- Hundreds step forward to pay Anna's medical bills - Aug 31, 2011
- Anna lacks confidence in his team, says Congress - Aug 06, 2012
- Anna to reach Delhi July 24, team gears up for agitation (Lead) - Jul 23, 2012
- Punjab's turn as Team Anna campaigns in poll states - Jan 24, 2012
Tags: activist, anna hazare, annaji, bangalore, blog, fight against corruption, former supreme court judge, galvanised, guidance, India, key team, kiran bedi, media coordinator, New Delhi, political mainstream, political move, santosh, sudden announcement, supreme court judge, team members