Members from 85 nations in Dubai Quran recitation contestAugust 29th, 2008 - 6:05 pm ICT by IANS
Dubai, Aug 29 (IANS) Contestants from 85 countries will participate in a Quran recitation competition here to mark the Islamic holy month of Ramadan.The 12th edition of the Dubai International Holy Quran Award (DIHQA) starts on the first day of Ramadan, which falls Sep 1 this year.
Ibrahim Bumelha, chairman of the award organising committee, said that Quran memorisers from countries like Switzerland, Uzbekistan, Botswana and Zanzibar are taking part in the event for the first time, the official Emirates News Agency (WAM) reported.
“Upon their arrival to Dubai, memorisers will be subjected to initial tests to gauge their memorisation ability of the holy book and rules of recitation,” he said.
He added that an elite panel of scholars would deliver lectures tackling a wide-range of Islamic issues.
- UAE president to get Islamic award - Aug 16, 2011
- US Muslim preacher named Islamic personality of year - Jul 10, 2012
- UAE prisoners awarded for memorising Quran - Feb 18, 2011
- Prisoners in Ajman attend religious lectures - Aug 08, 2012
- UAE releases over 80 prisoners - Jul 20, 2012
- Dubai Police to crackdown on begging during Ramadan - Jul 23, 2011
- UAE charity group holds iftar in 19 countries - Jul 29, 2012
- UAE holds religious lectures on Ramadan - Aug 13, 2011
- More Emirates flights to Saudi Arabia - Jun 27, 2012
- This Hyderabad mosque is more than a place of worship - Aug 12, 2012
- Indian missions in UAE announce special Ramadan timings - Jul 29, 2011
- Ramadan, Eid-ul-Fitr dates forecast in UAE - May 12, 2012
- UAE Quran centre opened in Chechnya - Aug 27, 2011
- Kuwait may pardon prisoners who memorise Quran - Feb 04, 2011
- Ramadan begins in UAE - Jul 20, 2012