Mehbooba walks out of meeting to select vigilance panelMay 29th, 2012 - 1:01 am ICT by IANS
Srinagar, May 28 (IANS) Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) leader Mehbooba Mufti Monday walked out of an meeting to decide the panel members for the state vigilance commission (SVC), after disagreeing with the proposed names for the chief vigilance commissioner.
The four member selection committee headed by Chief Minister Omar Abdullah met here this evening to decide the panel of names to be submitted to Governor N.N. Vohra for the selection of chief vigilance commissioner and two vigilance commissioners.
Besides the chief minister, the other members of the selection committee were Deputy Chief Minister Tara Chand, Law and Parliamentary Affairs Minister Ali Muhammad Sagar and Mehbooba Mufti, in her capacity as the leader of the opposition in the state assembly.
Talking to media persons after the meeting, Sagar said the selection committee had forwarded the final recommendations to the state governor.
He, however, refused to divulge the names of persons who had been recommended for high profile assignments.
“The chief minister made an effort to evolve consensus as was done earlier in the case of appointment to the state information commission and the state accountability commission.
“A panel of six persons each for CVC and VCs was deliberated upon in the meeting. However, there was no consensus on the name of the CVC as the same was not agreed to by the leader of opposition.”
“Institutions such as the vigilance commission should be kept above politics, but unfortunately some persons are politicizing the appointments to these institutions,” he added.
Sagar, however, confirmed that the recommendations had been framed and would now be submitted to the governor.
According to sources, outgoing Director General of Police (DGP) Kuldeep Khoda has been recommended for the CVC’s job. He retires on May 31.
- Kashmir ombudsman selection panel meet again put off - Jul 18, 2011
- G.R.Sofi to head Kashmir Information Commission (Second Lead, superseding earlier story) - Jan 27, 2011
- G.R. Sofi to head Kashmir information commission (Lead) - Jan 27, 2011
- Kashmir gets CVC clearance for information commissioner - Feb 06, 2011
- Supreme Court strikes down appointment of PJ Thomas - Mar 03, 2011
- Kashmir governor returns information commissioner's file - Feb 03, 2011
- Lokpal review panel debates inclusion of PMO - Nov 15, 2011
- Supreme Court lays down guidelines for appointing CVC - Mar 03, 2011
- Supreme Court reserves verdict on CVC's appointment - Feb 11, 2011
- CVC case: Supreme Court verdict on PJ Thomas tomorrow - Mar 02, 2011
- Final verdict on PJ Thomas today - Mar 03, 2011
- Apex court questions Thomas' appointment procedure (Lead) - Jan 27, 2011
- Supreme Court strikes down appointment of CVC P.J. Thomas - Mar 03, 2011
- Sacked CVC Thomas to file review petition before Supreme Court - Mar 12, 2011
- CVC case: Supreme Court reserves verdict - Feb 10, 2011
Tags: accountability commission, affairs minister, ali muhammad, chand, cvc, deputy chief minister, information commission, khoda, leader of opposition, leader of the opposition, media persons, member selection, mufti, names of persons, parliamentary affairs, sagar, selection committee, state governor, vigilance commission, vohra