Meghalaya to probe police-rebel nexusApril 15th, 2011 - 7:44 pm ICT by IANS
Shillong, April 15 (IANS) Meghalaya Home Minister H.D.R Lyngdoh Friday said the government will investigate the alleged nexus between the Garo National Liberation Army (GNLA) rebels and some police personnel.
“It could be only a suspicion (nexus between GNLA and police personnel), but we will conduct an investigation to establish these linkages,” Lyngdoh told journalists.
Lyngdoh’s statement comes after a senior union home ministry official accused two police inspectors, four sub-inspectors and a number of police constables of Meghalaya Police of maintaining links with the GNLA.
The GNLA, which is fighting for a ’sovereign Garoland’ in the western areas of Meghalaya, is headed by Champion R. Sangma, a rogue policeman.
In fact, Meghalaya Police have stepped up internal vigilance to prevent leakage of information to the rebel group after reports came in that the outfit was wooing some of the Garo lower-ranking police personnel to sympathise with it on ethnic considerations.
Indicating the possibility of some policemen passing on information to the rebels, Additional Director General of Police (special branch) S.K. Jain said: “We have stepped up our internal vigilance and official level monitoring is put in place to tackle any eventuality.”
The GNLA, operating in three Garo Hills districts in the western part of Meghalaya, maintains links with the National Socialist Council of Nagaland-Isak-Muivah (NSCN-IM), United Liberation Front of Asom (ULFA) and National Democratic Front of Bodoland (NDFB).
- Meghalaya's views sought to declare GNLA outlawed - Nov 01, 2011
- Meghalaya deploys special anti-insurgency police team - Dec 04, 2010
- Rebel attack: Meghalaya seeks central forces - Jun 06, 2011
- Meghalaya launches operation to rescue abducted official - Oct 02, 2010
- More Garo rebels to surrender: Meghalaya home minister - Dec 20, 2010
- Operation launched to nab fugitive Meghalaya militants - Sep 27, 2010
- Sangma asks police to probe mobile SIM cards racket - Aug 08, 2010
- Surrendered Garo rebel's house torched, mother missing - Jan 29, 2012
- Rebel shutdown hits life in Meghalaya - Sep 12, 2011
- Three cops killed in militant ambush in Meghalaya - Jun 04, 2011
- Rebel group asks Assam-based groups to leave Meghalaya - Aug 15, 2011
- Meghalaya confirms rebel leader's death (Lead) - Jun 20, 2011
- Meghalaya confirms rebel leader's death - Jun 20, 2011
- Meghalaya orders probe into rebel's killing in 'staged' gunfight - Jan 29, 2011
- Will not bow to Garo rebels' demands: Minister - Sep 17, 2011
Tags: ethnic considerations, eventuality, garo hills, home minister, isak, ministry official, national democratic front, national liberation army, national socialist council of nagaland, nexus, nscn, police constables, policemen, rebel group, s k jain, shillong, union home ministry, united liberation front, vigilance, western areas