Meghalaya minister fined Rs.1,000 for illegal parkingDecember 15th, 2011 - 9:33 pm ICT by IANS
Shillong, Dec 15 (IANS) A Meghalaya minister was Thursday fined Rs.1,000 for illegally parking his vehicle at the busy Khyndai Lad area of the city.
Saleng A. Sangma, the youngest cabinet minister, had parked his brand new Scorpio with beacon light at a no parking zone.
Traffic policemen on the spot quickly got into action and inquired about the owner.
However, when the minister didn’t turn up, the traffic policeman called for a tow truck at the site and were going to remove the vehicle. It was then that Saleng turned up and claimed the vehicle, but was asked to pay the mandatory fine for illegal parking.
After paying Rs.1,000, Sangma left the scene quickly.
“We aren’t going to spare anyone violating the law, especially during this busy festival time,” a traffic police official at the site said adding they have “orders from the top”.
The Shillong police have issued orders to tow all vehicles parked at unauthorized zones and directed traffic personnel to slap a fine of Rs.1,000 on vehicle owners violating traffic norms.
- Traffic cop books legislator, summoned by house panel - Dec 19, 2011
- Police officer apologises to Meghalaya assembly panel chairman - Dec 20, 2011
- 299 prosecuted in Delhi for using red beacons - Aug 30, 2011
- Delhi Traffic Police chief upset with VIP law breakers - Feb 07, 2011
- Tynsong to return to Sangma cabinet - Aug 01, 2011
- Deaths on Delhi roads down by 8 percent, say police - Jul 02, 2011
- Soccer enthusiast Meghalaya lawmaker contributes to stadium makeover - Jun 18, 2011
- Fatal accidents have come down: Delhi Police - Jan 06, 2012
- Sangma allocates portfolios to ministers - Jun 08, 2011
- Wedding cars run into trouble - May 07, 2012
- Sans traffic lights, chaos on Jammu, Srinagar roads (Letter from Kashmir) - Dec 30, 2011
- Meghalaya chief minister to meet Sonia Gandhi over toll gates (Lead) - Jul 16, 2010
- Traffic violators must pay more: Delhi police chief - Jan 07, 2011
- 75 penalised for Games lane violation - Oct 06, 2010
- Sixty penalised for entering Games lane - Oct 07, 2010
Tags: beacon light, cabinet minister, festival time, illegal parking, lad, norms, parking zone, police official, scorpio, shillong, tow truck, traffic police, traffic policeman, traffic policemen, violating the law