Meghalaya governor’s aide accused of molestationJanuary 23rd, 2012 - 11:42 pm ICT by IANS
Shillong, Jan 23 (IANS) An aide of Meghalaya Governor Ranjit Shekhar Mooshahary has been accused of molesting a teenage dancer inside his official residence, police said Monday.
The aide allegedly molested the 19-year-old dancer of the Megha Rockers Dance group Sunday evening, A.R.Mawthoh, the police chief of the East Khasi Hills, said.
“We have received a complaint of molestation. We have registered a case and a probe is on,” Mawthoh told IANS.
A case has been registered against the aide under section 354 of the Indian Penal Code. If proven guilty, he could be imprisoned for two years and fined.
On Sunday, the aide invited the group, comprising four girls and five boys to come his residence to discuss a cultural programme to be held Jan 26 during the governor’s reception on Republic Day.
“He (the aide) had called the girl to another room on the pretext of offering her something but instead molested her,” Mawthoh said.
“We are still questioning him (the aide), and we have nothing to comment,” Shillong Superintendent of Police M. Kharkrang said.
A Raj Bhavan official, speaking on condition of anonymity, said: “The aide was summoned by the governor today but it is not known what transpired in the one-on-one meeting.”
- Meghalaya governor's aide accused of molestation, denies charge (Lead) - Jan 24, 2012
- Solar panels stolen from Meghalaya Raj Bhavan - Aug 12, 2012
- Alert in Meghalaya ahead of HNLC 'Raising Day' - Aug 08, 2012
- Graffiti of Pope, politicians on Shillong buildings - Jun 18, 2010
- Three Meghalaya rebels nabbed - Nov 25, 2011
- Governor laments rising militancy in Meghalaya - Jan 26, 2012
- Ex-member of rebel group held in Meghalaya - Feb 24, 2012
- Body of drowned Briton taken home - Jun 29, 2011
- Meghalaya official held for bribe, sent to police custody - Apr 06, 2011
- Strike hits Republic Day in Meghalaya - Jan 26, 2011
- Meghalaya deputy speaker's vehicle set afire - Apr 24, 2012
- Woman molested in Delhi hospital - May 29, 2012
- Meghalaya cop accused of rape surrenders - Jul 30, 2011
- Seven injured in cylinder blasts in Meghalaya - Jul 20, 2011
- Two held for molesting women - Oct 06, 2011