Meghalaya CM urges coalition partners not to support SangmaJuly 6th, 2012 - 1:39 pm ICT by IANS
Shillong, Jul 5 (IANS) Meghalaya Chief Minister Mukul Sangma has appealed to his coalition partners in the state to revisit their decision to support former Lok Sabha speaker P.A. Sangma in the July 19 presidential election.
The United Democratic Party (UDP) and the Hill State Peoples’ Democratic Party (HSPDP), which are supporting the Congress-led Meghalaya United Alliance government, have pledged their support to P.A. Sangma.
“I have written to the presidents of UDP and HSPDP, asking them to review their decision and to support the United Progressive Alliance (UPA) nominee Pranab Mukherjee for the president’s post,” the chief minister told reporters here Thursday.
“We expect them (UDP and HSPDP) to respect the spirit of the coalition and support the UPA nominee,” he added.
However, former chief minister and UDP chief Donkupar Roy has ruled out going back on the decision to support P.A. Sangma.
“I told him (Mukul Sangma) that the decision was not taken by the parliamentary members of the party alone, but the party workers, too, want the UDP legislators to vote for the former Lok Sabha speaker,” Roy told IANS.
Saying that the presidential poll has no bearing on the commitment of coalition partners in the state government, UDP leader and Deputy Chief Minister Bindo Mathew Lanong said his party has unanimously decided to support the former Lok Sabha speaker as a local independent candidate.
“He is no more with any party after he resigned from the NCP (Nationalist Congress Party),” Lanong said.
Earlier, the Asom Gana Parishad and Mizo National Front pledged their support to P.A. Sangma, who is backed by the Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP), the Biju Janata Dal, AIADMK and some other parties.
- Meghalaya's UDP to support Sangma in presidential poll - Jul 02, 2012
- Will accept Sangma's resignation: Pawar - Jun 20, 2012
- Will accept Sangma's resignation:, says Pawar (Lead) - Jun 20, 2012
- Sangma is candidate of communal forces: NCP (Lead) - Jun 21, 2012
- JD-U to support Pranab for presidency - Jun 21, 2012
- No threat to government: Meghalaya chief minister - Sep 13, 2011
- In Meghalaya, Sangma's chances are the talking point (With Images) (Meghalaya Newsletter) - Jul 20, 2012
- Agatha will go by UPA's presidential candidate: Sangma - May 26, 2012
- Presidential contest: NDA, Left divided over Pranab; BJP backs Sangma (Roundup) - Jun 21, 2012
- 'Sangma's resignation act of frustration' - Jun 21, 2012
- BJP backs Sangma for presidential election (Lead) - Jun 21, 2012
- Sangma seeks debate with Pranab (Lead) - Jun 22, 2012
- AGP to support Sangma in Presidential poll - Jun 23, 2012
- Sangma quits NCP, set to take on Pranab (Roundup) - Jun 20, 2012
- Sangma is candidate of communal forces: NCP - Jun 21, 2012
Tags: aiadmk, alliance government, asom gana parishad, bharatiya janata party, biju, coalition partners, democratic party, deputy chief minister, independent candidate, Lok Sabha, mizo, nationalist congress party, ncp, parliamentary members, pranab mukherjee, presidential poll, progressive alliance, shillong, udp, united alliance