Meghalaya CM demands law for safety of N-E studentsApril 30th, 2012 - 7:51 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, April 30 (IANS) Meghalaya Chief Minister Mukul Sangma Monday called for a stringent law to address the safety concerns of students from the Northeast and to regulate the behaviour of the authorities at educational institutions.
Sangma was in the capital to raise the issue of the death of his niece and Amity University student, Dana Sangma, who committed suicide last Tuesday after allegedly being insulted by an invigilator during an examination.
“Institutes often focus on making money and building their brand, pressurising the students and ignoring the issues of their safety and balanced development,” he claimed.
Apart from Dana, two more students from northeastern states have died in the past few weeks. While Delhi University student Samiran Saikia of Assam committed suicide, seemingly due to examination pressure, Bangalore student Richard Loitam hailing from Manipur was allegedly beaten to death.
Loitam’s death has led to protests in several cities, including the capital, with the protestors accusing his college and hostel authorities of racial discrimination and delaying justice.
Sangma also stressed the need to prevent issues of racial profiling of students from northeastern states and said that “the growing marginalization of people from the Northeast in different walks of life is a trend that needs attention and careful consideration”.
“Instances of discrimination and atrocities have lots of negative impact and are a threat to the integrity and harmony of the nation,” he added.
- Chidambaram denies discrimination against northeast students (Lead) - May 04, 2012
- Northeast students want CBI to probe deaths of Loitam, Sangma - May 13, 2012
- No discrimination against students from northeast: Chidambaram - May 04, 2012
- PM assures justice for dead northeast students - May 10, 2012
- 'Personal reasons may have driven Dana to suicide' (Lead) - May 04, 2012
- Amity students hold candlelight vigil for Dana Sangma - Apr 27, 2012
- No evidence of racial bias against Dana: Amity varsity - May 04, 2012
- Northeast students protest Manipuri student's death (Lead) - Apr 29, 2012
- Gurgaon students hold demonstrations for Dana Sangma - May 01, 2012
- Probe Dana Sangma's death, family urges CBI (Lead, superseding previous story) - May 18, 2012
- CBI should probe Dana Sangma's death, says Family - May 18, 2012
- MPs raise issue of attacks on northeast students - Apr 30, 2012
- Accused of cheating MBA student hangs herself - Apr 24, 2012
- Case under SC/ST act against Amity - Apr 26, 2012
- Rally in Bangalore for quick probe into Manipuri student's death - Apr 29, 2012