Medvedev, Sarkozy talk before summit on Georgian crisisSeptember 1st, 2008 - 11:10 am ICT by IANS
Moscow, Sep 1 (DPA) Just hours before a European Union (EU) emergency summit on the crisis in Georgia, Russian President Dmitry Medvedev and French President Nicolas Sarkozy discussed the situation on the telephone, the agency Interfax has reported.The two leaders focussed on the disputed buffer zones held by the Russian Army on Georgian territory along the two breakaway republics of Abkhazia and South Ossetia, according to the late Sunday report from Interfax, which cited presidium officials in Moscow.
Medvedev and Sarkozy were also reported to have discussed the possible deployment of international observers in the crisis region. The Kremlin did not release details about the discussion.
Sarkozy, whose country currently holds the rotating presidency of the EU, has proposed a six-point agreement which he brokered with Moscow.
The agreement would include the immediate removal of Russian checkpoints on Georgian territory, pullback of Russian forces to pre-conflict positions and international discussions on the modalities of security and stability of South Ossetia and Abkhazia.
- Moscow says arrest of alleged Russian spies in Georgia part of "anti-Russian psychosis" - Nov 05, 2010
- Russia warns US on Georgia support - Jun 07, 2012
- US Senate asks Russia to pull out from Abkhazia, South Ossetia - Jul 31, 2011
- Medvedev praises Sarkozy's role in South Ossetia ceasefire - Aug 08, 2009
- Georgia reluctant to restore relations with Russia (Lead) - Mar 03, 2012
- Russia, US seek to deepen economic ties - Jun 25, 2010
- West, Russia on new confrontation course - Sep 16, 2008
- US criticizes Medvedev visit to South Ossetia - Jul 15, 2009
- Bush calls on Russia to end Georgia crisis - Aug 17, 2008
- South Ossetia to discuss Georgia's peace proposal in Geneva - Dec 09, 2010
- No Russian withdrawal yet from Georgian positions - Aug 17, 2008
- Russia dismisses reports Georgia downed its spy plane - Sep 23, 2008
- Russia agrees to Georgia ceasefire plan (Lead) - Sep 08, 2008
- EU for probe into Georgia crisis - Sep 07, 2008
- Russia to pull out from Georgia Monday: Medvedev (Lead) - Aug 17, 2008