Medvedev orders to build new aircraft plantJune 10th, 2012 - 9:50 am ICT by IANS
Moscow, June 10 (IANS/RIA Novosti) Russian Prime Minister Dmitry Medvedev has ordered for construction of an aircraft manufacturing plant for producing tactical transport aircraft in Kazan city, said Defence Minister Anatoly Serdyukov.
The mooted plant in Tatarstan’s capital will be intended, in particular, for constructing Antonov An-70 propfan tactical transport aircraft and possibly in future for the production of a new generation strategic bombers, the minister said.
“It will be the most up-to-date plant producing An-70 aircraft, and as soon as with settle the issue with new long-range aircraft, it might be produced there as well,” Serdyukov said.
Two weeks ago Lt. General Viktor Kachalkin, the commander of Russia’s Military Transport Aviation (VTA), announced that the service will receive 60 Antonov An-70 propfan tactical transport aircraft by 2020.
The Ukrainian-designed An-70, being built together with Russia, has had a long-running and troubled gestation. The aircraft also had a history of snags with its propfan engines.
Russia pulled out of the project in 2006, with Russian Air Force commander Vladimir Mikhailov stating it did not need the aircraft and would prefer the modernised Il-76. But it later rejoined the programme.
- Russian military to use civilian planes - Apr 03, 2012
- Russian firm to build dozens of transport aircraft by 2020 - Jan 20, 2012
- Russian Air Force gets first modernized AN-124s - May 17, 2012
- Russian mosque has world's largest Quran - Feb 18, 2012
- 88 missing as ship sinks in Russia - Jul 10, 2011
- Russia to buy 92 Su-34 fighters - Mar 01, 2012
- Six die in plane-crash in Russia - Mar 05, 2011
- Ukraine offers help in NATO Afghan pullout - Apr 20, 2012
- Russia to test first combat drone in 2014 - Apr 20, 2012
- Russia to build new aircraft carrier after 2020 - Jul 27, 2012
- Iran's n-plant launch delayed - May 30, 2012
- Russia's first Muslim TV channel goes on air - Aug 20, 2012
- Russia wants strike drone - Apr 02, 2012
- Pilot dies in chopper crash in Russia - Apr 07, 2012
- Over 100 people missing, 80 rescued as ship sinks in Russia - Jul 11, 2011
Tags: air force commander, anatoly serdyukov, bombers, defence minister, dmitry medvedev, kazan city, lt general, manufacturing plant, military transport, new aircraft, new generation, range aircraft, ria novosti, russian air force, russian prime minister, snags, tactical transport aircraft, tatarstan, transport aviation, vta