Medvedev looks forward to better ties with US (Lead)November 16th, 2008 - 2:57 pm ICT by IANS
Washington, Nov 16 (RIA Novosti) Russia’s President Dmitry Medvedev has expressed his hope that relationship with Washington would improve under the administration of president-elect Barack Obama when he takes office.Medvedev said this in his address to the Council on Foreign Relations Saturday following a summit of the Group of 20 rich and emerging economies on the financial crisis.
“We welcome the election of Barack Obama, and count on him to take steps to overcome the problems that have built in Russian-American relations,” he said.
“I believe that currently, Russian-US relations lack the trust that they need,” the Russian president said.
The tone of Medvedev’s Saturday speech was in sharp contrast to that of his state of the nation address, a day after Obama’s election victory, when the Russian leader pledged to deploy tactical missiles near Poland in response to US missile shield plans.
On the missile shield issue, Medvedev said Saturday: “Our actions will be only a response, and will only come if the (US missile shield) programme continues in a manner that is unacceptable to us.”
Following Medvedev’s speech, former secretary of state Madeleine Albright, who has been acting as an informal adviser to Obama, said the Russian position provides “a huge opportunity” in bilateral relations.
“I don’t think Russia and the United States have ever had two such young and impressive presidents who will be able to communicate in a new generational way, and I as the old lady here would like to wish you all the best of luck,” she said.
- No need to demonize US: Medvedev - Apr 26, 2012
- Putin, Obama to meet after presidential inauguration - Mar 21, 2012
- Russia, US may not agree on missile defence in Obama's tenure: US envoy - May 28, 2011
- Russia switches on missile detection radar - Nov 30, 2011
- Putin, Obama discuss bilateral relations - May 10, 2012
- Medvedev, Obama to discuss missile issue at G8 summit - May 16, 2011
- Russia will counter US missile defence: Medvedev - Feb 22, 2012
- Medvedev, Obama to discuss missile defence - Nov 11, 2011
- Medvedev to discuss missile issues with US - Jun 11, 2010
- Medvedev signs new START ratification document - Jan 28, 2011
- Everything's OK in US-Russia relations: Medvedev - Jul 31, 2012
- Putin may meet Obama at G8 in May - Mar 22, 2012
- US may disclose missile defence data to Russia - Mar 12, 2012
- Russia, US need to solve missile shield impasse: Putin - Sep 06, 2012
- Medvedev heads off for Seoul, Delhi - Mar 26, 2012