Medical officer shot dead in Lucknow (Lead)April 2nd, 2011 - 4:15 pm ICT by IANS
Lucknow, April 2 (IANS) A chief medical officer (CMO) was shot dead by unidentified gunmen when he was taking his morning walk outside his residence here Saturday — the second such killing in the last six months.
V.P. Singh, 50, CMO (family welfare), was killed in the posh Gomti Nagar area.
“According to eyewitnesses, two motorcycle-borne assailants with their faces covered shot several rounds at the CMO and escaped,” police inspector Abhimanyu Dhar Dwivedi told reporters.
Singh, a cardiologist, had taken the charge as CMO a few weeks ago. Before taking the charge, he was posted in city-based Lohia Hospital.
Deputy Inspector General of Police (DIG, Lucknow) D.K. Thakur said: “We are yet to establish the motive behind the crime and the identity of the assailants.”
“Teams have been constituted. The Special Task Force (STF) is also assisting the district police in the investigations,” he added.
In October 2010, Vinod Kumar Arya, 55, who was also CMO (family welfare) was shot dead in Lucknow while he was on a morning walk.
“We are probing whether the two cases have any links…The similarity between the two incidents is being looked into,” Thakur said.
Meanwhile, the Uttar Pradesh Provincial Medical Services’ Association (UPPMS) has threatened to boycott work in hospitals and health centres across the state in protest against the killing.
“We will decide our future course of strategy in a meeting. We want a CBI (Central Bureau of Investigation) enquiry into the matter,” said D.R. Singh, an office bearer of the UPPMSA.
- Medical officer killed in Lucknow - Apr 02, 2011
- Doctor shot dead in Lucknow (Lead) - Oct 27, 2010
- Doctors go on strike over medical officer's murder - Apr 02, 2011
- Doctor shot dead in Lucknow - Oct 27, 2010
- CMO killing: UP Police announces reward of Rs two lakhs - Apr 04, 2011
- BJP leader shot dead in Kanpur - Jul 16, 2011
- Congress activists baton-charged in Lucknow - Apr 11, 2011
- Court asks for report on Lucknow medical chiefs' killings - Apr 20, 2011
- BSP leader shot dead, supporters protest - Jul 05, 2011
- Two jewellers shot dead, traders on rampage in Faizabad - Aug 03, 2011
- BSP leader shot dead in Uttar Pradesh - Apr 28, 2011
- Strike over Lucknow medical officer's murder suspended - Apr 04, 2011
- Samajwadi Party leader shot dead in Uttar Pradesh - Jul 23, 2010
- Government doctor killed in Uttar Pradesh - Mar 09, 2011
- Two Uttar Pradesh ministers resign - Apr 07, 2011
Tags: abhimanyu, arya, assailants, central bureau of investigation, cmo, deputy inspector general, dhar, district police, eyewitnesses, family welfare, gomti nagar, health centres, medical officer, office bearer, police inspector, r singh, thakur, unidentified gunmen, v p singh, vinod kumar