Mediators reach Orissa for talks with MaoistsFebruary 20th, 2011 - 12:49 pm ICT by IANS
Bhubaneswar, Feb 20 (IANS) Human right activists and academicians G. Haragopal and R. Someswar Rao arrived in the Orissa capital Sunday to mediate with Maoists for the release of a district collector and an engineer who were abducted by them four days ago.”Both have arrived and the negotiations will start soon,” a senior state intelligence department official told IANS.
“we are just mediators, there is no question of putting any pressure on the government. We do not know the programme yet, we cannot say anything now, unless we talk to the government,” Haragopal, a retired professor from Kakatiya University, told reporters at the airport.
As soon as the duo reached the Bhubaneswar airport, they were taken to the state guest house. They were accompanied by some of their relatives.
R. Vineel Krishna, the district collector of Malkangiri, was abducted along with junior engineer Pabitra Mohan Majhi by Maoists Wednesday evening. This is the first time an Indian Administrative Service official has been kidnapped in the state.
Haragopal, who had gone to Hyderabad from New Delhi Saturday, held talks with the other mediator, Someshwar Rao, a retired professor of economics, and Maoist sympathiser and revolutionary writer Varavara Rao.
The trio met at Hyderabad Central University to discuss modalities for the mediation to seek the safe release of abducted district collector Krishna, who hails from Andhra Pradesh.
The rebels, who had initially set a two-day deadline to meet their demands, extended it by another 48 hours after it lapsed Friday evening. The extension was announced by a Maoist leader, identifying himself as Bhaskar, secretary of the Andhra-Orissa Border State Zonal Committee (AOBSZC) of the outlawed Communist Party of India-Maoist, late Friday night.
- Hostage crisis: Orissa begins talks with mediators (Lead) - Feb 20, 2011
- Hostage crisis: Orissa talks to mediators (Second Lead) - Feb 20, 2011
- Orissa hostage crisis: Talks to resume Monday (Night Lead) - Feb 20, 2011
- Orissa asks two academics to mediate in hostage crisis - Feb 18, 2011
- Orissa hostages safe, talks likely to start Sunday: officials (Roundup) - Feb 19, 2011
- Orissa hostage crisis: Talks inconclusive, to resume Monday (Intro Night Lead) - Feb 20, 2011
- Orissa-mediators' talks end, to resume Monday - Feb 20, 2011
- Orissa hostage crisis: Maoists extend deadline - Feb 19, 2011
- Mediator to leave for Bhubaneswar Sunday - Feb 19, 2011
- Maoist ideologue gets bail, unwilling to leave jail - Feb 23, 2011
- Orissa assembly appeals for release of collector, engineer - Feb 19, 2011
- Orissa anxiously awaits arrival of hostages at home - Feb 23, 2011
- Engineer freed, Orissa awaits news on collector (Second Lead) - Feb 23, 2011
- Mediator asks Orissa to free jailed Maoist to end hostage crisis - Feb 19, 2011
- Hostages safe, discussion on: Orissa home secretary - Feb 21, 2011
Tags: abducted, andhra pradesh, another 48 hours, border state, communist party of india, indian administrative service, intelligence department, junior engineer, kakatiya university, krishna, majhi, maoist, maoists, mediators, mohan, orissa, someshwar rao, state intelligence, varavara rao, wednesday evening