Media should present larger view of events: PMApril 30th, 2008 - 11:37 pm ICT by admin
New Delhi, April 30 (IANS) The media should move beyond merely reporting “the here and now” and present the larger view of daily events and shape public opinion in a constructive manner, Prime Minister Manmohan Singh said here Wednesday. “If the media is confined only to ‘the here and now’, it ceases to play the role of the Fourth Estate. That important role is claimed only when the media is able to take a larger view of daily events, shape public opinion in a constructive way and record history even as it is being made,” Manmohan Singh said at the launch of “Tribune 125 years - an anthology”, commemorating the 125th anniversary of the Tribune newspaper.
“The combination of providing news, of shaping views and guiding societies is what gives the media a special status in a democracy,” he said.
Manmohan Singh said that democracy is India’s biggest strength.
“I do believe it has worked on the whole in the interest of our people. Our media has been an important healer of our democracy and I sincerely hope it will continue to play a constructive role in nation building, reinforcing the knowledge of our society and the confidence of our people,” he said.
He also expressed the hope that this book will inspire a new generation of journalists to dedicate themselves to the highest standards of professionalism and journalism.
- Focus on issues of national importance, PM tells media (Lead) - Jan 02, 2012
- Focus on issues of national importance, PM tells media - Jan 02, 2012
- Democracy is best guarantor of internal security: PM - Dec 31, 2011
- Firmly reject those mocking democratic institutions: PM (Lead) - May 13, 2012
- Media can battle evil of paid news on its own: PM (Second Lead) - Jan 02, 2012
- PM assures full co-operation to Ramakrishna Mission - Jan 12, 2011
- Tackling corruption top of government agenda: PM - Oct 21, 2011
- Text of PM's message - Dec 31, 2011
- PM's address at National Integration Council meet - Sep 10, 2011
- Improve quality of education: President (Second Lead) - Sep 05, 2012
- Chitravali: Compiling Tagore's art on 150th birth anniversary - Feb 06, 2011
- PM's tribute to Malaviya on 150th birth anniversary (Lead) - Dec 27, 2011
- PM's tribute to Malaviya on 150th birth anniversary celebrations - Dec 27, 2011
- India failed to optimally use science and technology: PM - Jun 02, 2012
- PM warns against growing intolerance (Roundup) - Jun 02, 2012