Medal for locating Arunachal CM’s crashed chopperJanuary 26th, 2012 - 3:00 am ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Jan 26 (IANS) Wing Commander Felix Patrick Pinto, an helicopter pilot of the Indian Air Force, who helped search for the fateful Pawan Hans helicopter of then Arunachal Pradesh Chief Minister Dorjee Khandu that had crashed in Tawang in April last year, was Wednesday named to receive Shaurya Chakra, the third highest peacetime gallantry medal.
Pinto, a Mi-17 pilot, had also showed grit when he successfully steered a malfunctioning helicopters for about 15 minutes to safely land in Guwahati on Aug 29 last year.
“For exceptional displays of exemplary courage, determination, leadership and composure under adverse conditions, twice in a year, Wing Commander Pinto is recommended for the award of Shaurya Chakra,” his citation read.
Pinto was in charge of all the air operations launched in Tawang sector in search of the Pawan Hans chopper carrying Khandu that crashed. On May 4, he got airborne and help locate the plane wreck’s exact coordinates despite bad weather.
- Not resuming helicopter service in northeast: Minister - Jun 26, 2011
- IAF pilots to get Shaurya Chakra, three Vayu Sena Medals - Jan 25, 2011
- IAF to transfer remains of Khandu Thursday - May 04, 2011
- Arunachal Pradesh CM Khandu safe, chopper lands safely in Bhutan - Apr 30, 2011
- Khandu's death: Arunachal announces seven-day state mourning - May 05, 2011
- Arunachal has witnessed several air crashes - May 01, 2011
- Massive search operation to locate Arunachal Pradesh CM - Apr 30, 2011
- Tribals find crashed chopper, Khandu's mutilated body (Night Lead) - May 04, 2011
- Bodies of Arunachal CM Khandu, 4 others taken to Tawang - May 05, 2011
- PM condoles demise of Dorjee Khandu - May 05, 2011
- Chopper with Arunachal chief minister missing (Lead) - Apr 30, 2011
- Mystery over Arunachal Pradesh CM Khandu's whereabouts deepen - Apr 30, 2011
- Aerial search resumes for Arunachal CM's missing chopper - May 02, 2011
- BJP demands revamp of Pawan Hans services - May 05, 2011
- Chopper with Arunachal chief minister still untraced - May 01, 2011
Tags: air operations, bad weather, chief minister, chopper, composure, courage determination, exact coordinates, exemplary courage, gallantry, guwahati, helicopter pilot, helicopters, indian air force, New Delhi, patrick pinto, pawan hans helicopter, peacetime, plane wreck, tawang, wing commander