McLaren lock front row in ItalySeptember 8th, 2012 - 8:47 pm ICT by IANS
Monza, Sep 8 (IANS) McLaren locked out the front row with Lewis Hamilton taking pole here at the Italian Grand Prix Saturday.
Hamilton clocked 1:24.010 minutes in the dying minutes of Q3 displacing Ferrari’s Felipe Massa.
Teammate Jenson Button came in second, moving up the table with 1:24.133 as he became the last car to cross the line under the chequered flag.
Driver’s championship leader Fernando Alonso of Ferrari was unable to match his performances from earlier in the session and finishing 10th, more than one and a half seconds behind Hamilton (1:25.678).
Teammate Felipe Massa will line-up third overall after out-qualifying the Spaniard, who appeared to make a mistake at the first chicane on his final flying lap.
Sahara Force India’s Paul di Resta briefly held second spot before being deposed by Massa and then Button, but the Brit will take a five-place grid penalty which drops him to an eventual ninth, sharing row five with Alonso.
Michael Schumacher finishing fifth will move up to take di Resta’s fourth spot, with Sebastian Vettel, who only just made it into the final phase of the session, assumed the inside of row three for Red Bull.
The German will be joined by countryman Nico Rosberg of Mercedes while Lotus’ Kimi Raikkonen and Sauber’s Kamui Kobayashi fill row four.
Earlier Red Bull driver Mark Webber went out in Q2 as he failed to qualify for the final session while Force India’s Nico Hulkenberg was eliminated in Q1 after a gear box problem.
India’s Narain Karthikeyan beat HRT teammate Pedro de la Rosa and will start 22nd setting a time of 1:27.441.
- German GP: Alonso zooms to second straight pole - Jul 21, 2012
- Vettel takes pole, di Resta 10th in Bahrain - Apr 21, 2012
- Hamilton bags pole in Australia - Mar 17, 2012
- Hamilton takes pole, Force India out of top ten - May 12, 2012
- Vettel takes pole for Indian GP, Karthikeyan penalised - Oct 29, 2011
- Force India's di Resta 8th fastest in Canadian GP qualifying - Jun 10, 2012
- Chinese GP: Rosberg takes maiden F1 pole, Force India out of top-10 - Apr 14, 2012
- Hamilton glides to Monza victory - Sep 09, 2012
- Alonso takes pole in British GP qualifying, Nico 9th fastest - Jul 08, 2012
- Hamilton charges to pole in Hungarian GP - Jul 28, 2012
- Button wins Australian GP, Force India's Di Resta gets a point - Mar 18, 2012
- Rosberg sets pace in second practice at Bahrain GP - Apr 20, 2012
- Button races to 1st pole for McLaren in Belgium - Sep 01, 2012
- Untouchable Vettel wins Indian GP - Oct 30, 2011
- Red Bull's Vettel takes pole for Chinese Grand Prix - Apr 16, 2011
Tags: championship leader, chequered flag, felipe massa, fernando alonso, final session, force india, italian grand prix, jenson button, kamui, kimi raikkonen, last car, mark webber, michael schumacher, narain karthikeyan, nico hulkenberg, pedro de la rosa, place grid, rosberg, s paul, sebastian vettel