McCain votes in Arizona, Palin in AlaskaNovember 5th, 2008 - 1:35 am ICT by IANS
Washington, Nov 4 (DPA) As Republican presidential candidate John McCain arrived at the Albright United Methodist Church in Phoenix, Arizona Tuesday to vote, scores of supporters cheered: “Go, John, go.”McCain was with his wife Cindy. In a break from tradition, he planned two final rallies on voting day - at an airplane hangar in Grand Junction, Colorado and later in Albuquerque, New Mexico. Both states went with President George W. Bush in 2004, but polls have indicated that they are now leaning toward Obama.
If elected, McCain, 72, will be the oldest president ever to begin his first term.
Meanwhile, Republican vice-presidential candidate Sarah Palin went home to Alaska to vote and said she felt “optimistic and confident”.
“I hope, I pray, I believe I’ll be able to wake up as vice- presidential elect and work in transition mode with John McCain,” Palin told reporters, after initially slipping behind a red-white- and-blue curtain to vote. “I’m exercising my right to privacy,” she joked.
She said Alaska was far removed from politics in Washington and what she would bring to the capital was “good, healthy.”
“It’s great to be home because forever I’ll be Sarah from Alaska,” Palin said, after voting in Wasilla’s City Hall, where she once served as mayor.
“I know it is a historical event, no matter which ticket prevails,” she said.
Palin said she hadn’t yet spoken to McCain. She was scheduled to leave Alaska and join him in Phoenix on election night.
- McCain waxes eloquent on Palin while likening her to "divisive" Reagan - Nov 29, 2010
- Sarah Palin to address annual conclave Saturday - Mar 17, 2011
- Sarah Palin all set to help john McCain - Jan 22, 2010
- Oprah's Comments To 'Parade' Construed As U.S. Is Too Smart To Be Seduced By Sarah Palin's Presidency - Dec 24, 2010
- Julianne Moore to portray Sarah Palin in new movie 'Game Change' - Apr 28, 2011
- Julianne Moore praises Sarah Palin - Feb 28, 2012
- Sarah Palin's documentary lacks audience - Jul 26, 2011
- McCain's daughter slams Palin's Iran war advice to Obama - Feb 10, 2010
- HBO releases 1st picture of Julianne Moore as Sarah Palin - Apr 28, 2011
- Julianne Moore to play Sarah Palin - Mar 10, 2011
- Ex-colleague says Palin should be allowed to reveal her multiple flaws - Dec 20, 2010
- Sarah Palin to join Fox News - Jan 12, 2010
- McCain says he is very "proud" of Palin - Dec 07, 2009
- Sarah Palin ruined 2008 elections for Republicans, says Bush - Nov 06, 2010
- Palin fuels presidential bid speculations by hiring chief of staff - Feb 13, 2011