‘Mayawati trying to woo upper caste vote bank’October 20th, 2008 - 9:19 pm ICT by IANS
Lucknow, Oct 20 (IANS) The Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) Monday said Uttar Pradesh Chief Minister Mayawati was pointlessly trying to woo the upper caste vote bank with her pseudo sympathy. “She (Mayawati) is only fooling the upper castes of the state, and once the elections are over she will backtrack,” state BJP president Ramapati Ram Tripathi said.
“If she admits that 80 percent of the upper caste residents of Uttar Pradesh are poor, why were their names removed from the list of beneficiaries of Below Poverty Line (BPL) families entitled to special concessions in the public distribution scheme,” questioned Tripathi.
He was referring to the recent government decision to remove hundreds of names from the BPL list.
“The Bahujan Samaj Party (BSP) is and has always remained anti upper caste and Hindutva,” Tripathi said.
The BJP demanded a Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI) inquiry into the alleged relations of the Congress, Samajwadi Party and BSP leaders with members and office-bearers of the banned Students Islamic Movement of India (SIMI).
“Besides having a soft corner for them, politicians like Mulayam Singh, Amar Singh, Akbar Ahmed Dumpy and Ram Naresh Yadav, have always advocated removal of the ban on SIMI. The CBI should probe their relations with SIMI,” Tripathi said.
- Uma Bharti homecoming may help BJP in Uttar Pradesh - Jun 07, 2011
- BJP manifesto is against minority reservation; for Ram temple - Jan 27, 2012
- BSP runs for cover as skeletons tumble out (News Analysis) - May 17, 2012
- Parliament crippled over coal blocks, quota bill introduced (Roundup) - Sep 05, 2012
- BSP fields more upper castes, Muslims in Uttar Pradesh - Jan 15, 2012
- Kushwaha hits out at Mayawati at first public rally - Jan 12, 2012
- BJP will target crime in Uttar Pradesh polls, says Uma Bharti - Jun 22, 2011
- Political war erupts as CBI raids Kushwaha's premises (Roundup) - Jan 04, 2012
- Mayawati's Uttar Pradesh division election gimmick: BJP - Nov 15, 2011
- All eyes on Muslim vote in Uttar Pradesh (UP Newsletter) - Jan 22, 2012
- Mayawati hits out at Congress for Khurshid's remarks - Feb 11, 2012
- No conspiracy against Mayawati: BJP - Jul 06, 2012
- Mayawati woos Brahmin community - Nov 13, 2011
- Day after joining BJP, Kushwaha's premises raided (Second Lead) - Jan 04, 2012
- Mayawati takes oath as Rajya Sabha member - Apr 24, 2012