Mayawati tries to gain foothold in UttarakhandJanuary 25th, 2012 - 1:04 am ICT by IANS
Rudrapur (Uttarakhand), Jan 24 (IANS) Bahujan Samaj Party (BSP) supremo and Uttar Pradesh Chief minister Mayawati is doing her best to break the Bhartiya Janata Party and Congress monopoly in Uttarakhand.
“My aim is to unite all sections of society and form a government in Uttarakhand , which has not seen the desired development largely on account of the vested interests of the BJP and Congress who have been playing musical chairs there,” Mayawati said, addressing a a rally at Rudrapur in the Himalayan foothills.
“We are here not just to participate in the elections. We wish to provide an alternative to both BJP and the Congress in Uttarakhand,” she said.
Branding both the national parties as “casteist”, she said: “Because of their casteist approach, neither Congress nor the BJP cared to attend to the needs of the people of Uttarakhand or concentrate on the development of the state.”
She appealed to the people of the state, “to vote for BSP if they were looking for development.”
The BSP was the only party other than Congress and BJP to have made its presence felt in Uttarakhand at the last assembly elections when it bagged 8 of the 71 seats.
Giving out a long list of the welfare schemes she had initiated in Uttar Pradesh, Mayawati promised to give Uttarakhand all that she had given to Uttar Pradesh during her five-year rule.
- Mayawati hits out at Congress for Khurshid's remarks - Feb 11, 2012
- Mayawati aims to build BSP base in Uttarakhand - Nov 30, 2010
- Mayawati takes oath as Rajya Sabha member - Apr 24, 2012
- Mayawati silent on Sangma's bid at presidency - May 19, 2012
- Mayawati inaugurates 'dream project', says Congress ignored Dalit icons (Roundup) - Oct 14, 2011
- Verma seeks post-poll ties with BSP, Congress terms it personal view (Lead) - Mar 04, 2012
- I hold master key to power, thunders Mayawati (Lead) - Feb 21, 2012
- Congress is scared of BSP, says Mayawati - Nov 27, 2011
- BSP, SP have tacit understanding with Congress: BJP - Nov 11, 2011
- Kushwaha hits out at Mayawati at first public rally - Jan 12, 2012
- UP mandate a defeat for Rahul: Swaraj (Lead) - Mar 06, 2012
- Mayawati attacks Samajwadi Party - Apr 16, 2012
- BSP trying to suppress Ramdev's campaign: BJP - Jun 06, 2011
- Mayawati has failed to protect women, downtrodden: BJP - Apr 02, 2011
- Maya attacks Akhilesh for changing names of eight districts (Lead) - Jul 23, 2012
Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,