Mayawati says ‘no’ to CBI probe in girl’s murder (Second Lead)June 15th, 2011 - 2:44 pm ICT by IANS
Lucknow, June 15 (IANS) Uttar Pradesh Chief Minister Mayawati Wednesday vowed to bring to book the killers of a 14-year-old girl who was found hanging in a police compound five days ago. But she rejected demands for a CBI probe.
“I condemn the murder in strong words and assure the family that the culprits will be dealt with strongly,” she told reporters here.
“We don’t oppose the CBI (Central Bureau of Investigation) investigating the case but the government fears the case may be botched up,” Mayawati said.
The girl’s body was found hanging from a tree inside the Nighasan police station in Lakhimpur district June 10.
The death was initially dismissed by police as suicide, but a second autopsy confirmed the girl was strangled.
As many as 11 policemen at the police station and three doctors who conducted the first autopsy have been suspended. The police superintendent of the district has been transferred.
The case has sparked off vehement criticism of the state administration, which critics say has failed to curb growing crime in the state, particularly against women.
The opposition has demanded a CBI probe, saying the state investigation was a sham.
But Mayawati said the opposition should not politicise the issue.
“Opposition parties should rise above party politics and help the government in arresting the culprits,” she said.
She said her government was taking steps to improve the crime situation in the state “which is the legacy of previous governments”.
- Mayawati assures justice in girl's murder (Lead) - Jun 15, 2011
- Mayawati suspends police officer in girl's murder (Third Lead) - Jun 15, 2011
- Murdered Uttar Pradesh girl's mother demands CBI probe - Jun 15, 2011
- Not opposed to CBI probe into girl's murder: Mayawati - Jun 15, 2011
- Lawyers offer help, girl's family again wants CBI probe - Jun 16, 2011
- Murdered girl's mother wants CBI probe, Mayawati says 'no' (Roundup) - Jun 15, 2011
- CBI must probe UP girl's murder, says union minister - Jun 15, 2011
- Uma Bharti to stage first sit-in as BJP leader Saturday - Jun 17, 2011
- Court questions Uttar Pradesh on police station death - Jul 04, 2011
- UP girl's murder confirmed; 11 cops, three doctors suspended (Second Lead) - Jun 13, 2011
- Court seeks detailed report on UP girl's murder probe - Jun 17, 2011
- Mayawati orders probe into girl's death at police station (Lead) - Jun 13, 2011
- Congress insists on CBI probe into UP girl's murder - Jun 14, 2011
- BJP demands third autopsy of murdered UP girl - Jun 14, 2011
- Girl killed in police station was gangraped: Women's panel - Jun 30, 2011
Tags: autopsy, cbi probe, central bureau of investigation, chief minister, crime situation, culprits, hanging from a tree, killers, old girl, opposition parties, party politics, police compound, police station, police superintendent, policemen, sham, state administration, state investigation, taking steps, vehement criticism