Mathura communal clashes kill one (Lead)June 2nd, 2012 - 1:30 am ICT by IANS
Lucknow, June 1 (IANS) One person was killed late Friday and a dozen others were injured in communal clashes in Uttar Pradesh’s Mathura town, police said.
Curfew was clamped following the violence in Kosikalan area, a police officer said.
Confirming the death of at least one person, Inspector General of Police (Law and Order) B.P. Singh told IANS that heavy police reinforcements have been rushed to the clash site.
Efforts were on to bring the situation under control.
Local officials said the violence broke out after Friday prayers.
After a brief verbal spat, groups from both sides indulged in violence.
Mobs set some vehicles on fire. District Magistrate Sanjay Kumar clamped curfew in the region and ordered security men to control violence.
- Mathura tense, two dead - Jun 02, 2012
- Two dead, curfew in riot-hit Mathura district (Lead, Changing dateline) - Jun 02, 2012
- Curfew on in riot-hit Bareilly, 200 arrested - Aug 13, 2012
- Curfew partially lifted in Bareilly - Jul 25, 2012
- UP sees violence over Myanmar-Assam events, curfew in Allahabad (Lead) - Aug 18, 2012
- Shia groups clash in Lucknow - May 18, 2012
- Curfew continues in Gurdaspur, Badal orders probe - Mar 30, 2012
- Communal violence casts a shadow on Uttar Pradesh - Aug 15, 2012
- Curfew imposed in Meghalaya - May 09, 2012
- One killed in Bareilly violence (Lead) - Jul 23, 2012
- Gunfire in Meerut jail as cops, inmates clash, 11 hurt (Lead) - Apr 18, 2012
- Army stages flag march in Kashmir town - Jun 30, 2010
- Curfew continues in riot-hit old Hyderabad (Lead) - Apr 09, 2012
- Curfew on in Moradabad, no fresh violence - Aug 11, 2011
- Moradabad curfew to be relaxed for 16 hours - Aug 16, 2011
Tags: b p singh, clash, communal clashes, district magistrate, fire district, inspector general, law and order, mobs, police law, police officer, police reinforcements, prayers, sanjay kumar, security men, spat, town police, uttar pradesh, violence