Massive mock drill conducted in Delhi (Lead)February 15th, 2012 - 11:55 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Feb 15 (IANS) Delhi Wednesday witnessed one of India’s biggest coordinated mock drills, simulating a 7.9 magnitude earthquake hitting the capital, to check the level of preparedness of authorities and educate people on the do’s and don’ts.
Performed in 399 building structures, including 218 schools and 24 hospitals, the drill witnessed the participation of over 40,000 common people and 15,000 government officials.
The mega mock drill was organised by the Delhi Disaster Management Authority and National Disaster Management Authority.
“This is country’s first drill which has been organised on such a large scale. We organised it really well. In fact, officials from Bihar Disaster Management Authority were also present to take lessons from this drill where over 40,000 people took part,” said Kuldeep Singh Gangar, a top official with DDMA.
While people acted as victims, government officials were engaged in “rescue operations”.
A total 276 people were shown dead and 828 as seriously injured in the exercise.
“This exercise was very useful for common man like me. We got to know what to do in a devastating earthquake,” said Nirmal Mishra who participated in the drill.
While six busy Metro stations were also roped in, the drill was also conducted at Tihar Jail, one of south Asia’s largest prison.
The drill, which lasted around 30 minutes between 11.30 a.m. and 12 noon, hit thousands of Metro commuters and road commuters, as road traffic was also diverted.
While many Metro commuters admitted they knew about the temporary stoppage of services due to the drill, others complained they had no clue that trains would be halted and stations closed down for half an hour.
The drill involved various kind of scenarios across Delhi covering more than 1,000 sites including bridges, flyovers, malls, schools and other buildings as a number of simulated situations like collapse of flyovers, crack in metro pillars, collapse of residential buildings were created.
Officials from all the important emergency support functionary departments like police, Municipal Corporation of Delhi (MCD), the Delhi Metro Rail Corp (DMRC), the health department, Delhi Jal Board and food and civil supplies coordinated with senior officials of all the nine districts in the capital.
–Indo-Asian News Servive
- Quake mock-drills in Delhi Wednesday - Feb 13, 2012
- Delhi readies for mass drill to test disaster preparedness - Feb 15, 2012
- Mock drills at 11 Delhi Metro stations Saturday - Jul 27, 2012
- Metro commuters hit by mock drill - Feb 15, 2012
- Delhi to have its own disaster response force soon - Feb 17, 2012
- Mock drills at six Metro stations - Feb 13, 2012
- Drill to check Delhi's earthquake preparedness - Feb 14, 2012
- Mock disaster drill held in Delhi, will show loopholes: NDMA - Feb 15, 2012
- Delhi Metro mock drill hits commuters (Lead) - Jul 28, 2012
- An earthquake in Delhi? No, just a drill - Feb 15, 2012
- Delhi Metro mock drills hit commuters - Jul 28, 2012
- NDMA to conduct mock earthquake drill next year - Jun 06, 2012
- Mock drill in Gurgaon July 20 to test quake preparedness - Jul 14, 2012
- India to join mock tsunami drill in Indian Ocean - Oct 11, 2011
- Dhumal for quake drill in schools - Dec 07, 2011
Tags: building structures, collapse, common man, common people, commuters, ddma, devastating earthquake, disaster management, government officials, kuldeep singh, magnitude earthquake, management authority, metro stations, mishra, mock drills, national disaster, rescue operations, road traffic, South Asia, stoppage