Massive evacuation ordered in US due to floodingSeptember 9th, 2011 - 4:12 am ICT by IANS
Washington, Sep 9 (IANS) Over 100,000 people in the US East Coast were ordered to evacuate Thursday, as torrential rains brought by the remnants of tropical storm Lee caused major flooding in the area, Xinhua reported.
Several counties in New York, New Jersey, Pennsylvania, Connecticut, Maryland and Virginia are under flash flood warning, as per the National Weather Service.
Some parts of the US East Coast are still recovering from damages caused by Hurricane Irene.
In Luzerne county, Pennsylvania, 100,000 to 125,000 people were ordered to leave their homes because of the rising waters of the Susquehanna River, the report cited CNN quoting Emergency Management Coordinator Stephen Bekanich as saying.
New York state authorities also issued mandatory evacuations to approximately 10,000 residents, as water in the Susquehanna and Chenango rivers have risen to dangerous levels.
Tropical storm Lee impacted the oil concentrated Gulf Coast region last week and weakened Sunday. Remnants of the storm swamped the already-soggy US east coast Wednesday, leaving at least three people dead and triggering major flooding.
The powerful storm slammed the area late August with high wind, torrential rains, tidal waves and flooding, causing massive destruction to roads and houses while leaving 7 million customers without power.
- Hurricane Irene kills 18, impacts millions in US - Aug 29, 2011
- 1.3 mn evacuated as Muifa brushes past China (Second Lead) - Aug 09, 2011
- US mobilises 6,500 troops for hurricane relief - Aug 28, 2011
- Over 100,000 evacuated in China as storm approaches - Aug 08, 2011
- Hurricane Irene makes landfall in North Carolina, killing 3 - Aug 27, 2011
- Weakened Irene causes little damage in New York - Aug 28, 2011
- Obama declares emergency for New York ahead of hurricane(Lead) - Aug 27, 2011
- Hurricane Irene slams Big Apple; leaves 3 mn powerless in US - Aug 28, 2011
- 23 die as hurricane rains hit Central America - Oct 13, 2011
- 44 killed in China floods - Jun 10, 2011
- Hurricane Irene hits US coastal areas - Aug 27, 2011
- Over 360,000 people evacuated in east China as storm nears (Lead) - Aug 08, 2011
- 90 die in Philippines floods - Aug 13, 2012
- Insured losses in the Carolinas estimated between $200-$400 million - Aug 28, 2011
- Hurricane Irene toll is 38; 5 mn in US still without power - Aug 30, 2011
Tags: cnn, dangerous levels, emergency management coordinator, flash flood, high wind, hurricane irene, jersey pennsylvania, late august, least three people, luzerne county pennsylvania, mandatory evacuations, massive destruction, national weather service, powerful storm, state authorities, susquehanna river, tidal waves, torrential rains, tropical storm lee, xinhua