Mass migration from Chhattisgarh villages after shootoutJuly 7th, 2012 - 5:54 pm ICT by IANS
Raipur, July 7 (IANS) Korsaguda and Sarkeguda villages in Chhattigarh are witnessing large scale migration as people are fleeing to nearby states, leaving behind their agricultural land, following a midnight gunbattle June 28 between the Central Reserve Police Force (CRPF) troopers and suspected Maoists and their sympathisers.
Talking to IANS Saturday, Sarpanch of Sarkeguda, Markam Narayan said: “People are terrified after the gunbattle. They have either migrated to neighbouring Andhra Pradesh in search of job or are taking shelter in the house of their relatives.”
Due to the mass migration, the paddy has been affected as most of the fields have been left unploughed. This Kharif (summer) season, the area has so far received adequate rains.
Security forces had gunned down 17 suspected Maoists - rights activists and local villagers say they were innocent local people - at Korsaguda village in Bijapur district of Bastar region, about 600 km south of Raipur, June 28.
While six Central Reserve Police Force troopers were injured in the midnight gunbattle, five injured Maoists were also nabbed in the operation, but one of them later succumbed to injuries in hospital.
Fearing that either they will be caught in the wrangles of the state government and the opposition or be harassed by Maoists, people of these two villages have migrated to Andhra Pradesh in search of work, leaving their fields untilled.
According to the Narayan, only a few of the villagers, who hardly have any knowledge about agriculture, have stayed back.
- Korsaguda, Sarkeguda residents refuse government aid - Jul 08, 2012
- Two CRPF troopers killed in Chhattisgarh blast (Lead) - Aug 07, 2012
- Congress to raise Chhattisgarh killings in assembly session - Jul 05, 2012
- Chattisgarh gunfight genuine, sorry if any innocents died: Chidambaram - Jul 05, 2012
- Panchayat secretary killed in Maoist firing - Aug 30, 2012
- Maoists attack police station in Chhattisgarh - Jun 13, 2011
- Maoists attack Chhattisgarh police station, no casualty (Lead) - Jun 13, 2011
- Maoists gun down police officer in Chhattisgarh market - May 19, 2011
- Maoists step up violence in Chhattisgarh - Jun 09, 2012
- Maoists kill CRPF trooper in Bihar - Sep 09, 2012
- Korsaguda gunfight: Chhattisgarh open to any probe, says CM - Jul 06, 2012
- Government gives details of Sukma shootout that killed 17 - Aug 08, 2012
- Two guerrillas gunned down in Chhattisgarh - Aug 25, 2012
- Congress seeks CBI probe into Chhattisgarh killings - Jul 02, 2012
- Chhattisgarh killing issue rocks assembly - Jul 13, 2012
Tags: activists, agricultural land, agriculture, job, maoists, markam, mass migration, narayan, nearby states, opposition, paddy, police force, relatives, reserve police, security forces, six central, state government, wrangles