Mass graves found in Cote d’IvoireMay 10th, 2011 - 7:44 am ICT by IANS
United Nations, May 10 (IANS) At least 68 bodies have been found in 10 graves near the Cote d’Ivoire’s main city of Abidjan, Xinhua reported.
According to the UN Office of the High Commissioner for Human Rights (OHCHR), the discovery made in the Youpogon neighborhood includes two mass graves — one with 31 bodies and the other with 21.
The human rights team is conducting interviews with witnesses and families of victims who may be able to provide insight into the killings, said UN spokesman Farhan Haq Monday.
Cote d’Ivoire is undergoing a political transition following months of violent clashes that ended with the April 11 arrest of former strongman Laurent Gbagbo by forces loyal to Alassane Ouattara, the UN-certified president-elect.
“(OHCHR) believes that killings took place on April 12 by pro- Gbagbo militia and that those killed are all males,” said Haq.
The team is continuing its probe into allegations of other graves nearby, added the spokesman.
- Toll in Ivorian post-election violence tops 1,000: UN - May 28, 2011
- Fair trial for human rights violations in Cote d'Ivoire: UN - Apr 13, 2011
- Obama hails 'decisive turn of events' in Cote d'Ivoire - Apr 12, 2011
- UN, French helicopters attack Gbagbo's residence - Apr 11, 2011
- Legal proceedings against Gbagbo in Cote d'Ivoire - Apr 12, 2011
- Pro-president forces launch offensive in Cote d'Ivoire - Mar 13, 2011
- UN voices outrage at deadly attack on civilians in Cote d'Ivoire's market - Mar 22, 2011
- 66 Indians evacuated from Cote d'Ivoire - Apr 13, 2011
- Heavy firing heard near Ivory Coast president's house - Apr 06, 2011
- Indian ambassador evacuated in Ivory Coast - Apr 08, 2011
- India evacuates 44 more from Abidjan - Apr 18, 2011
- Situation in Cote d'Ivoire remains volatile: UN spokesman - Mar 29, 2011
- Obama welcomes end of Gbagbo's 'illegitimate claim to power' in Ivory Coast - Apr 12, 2011
- India supports UN sanctions against Cote d'Ivoire - Mar 31, 2011
- U.S. imposes financial sanctions on former Côte D'Ivoire leader - Jan 07, 2011
Tags: abidjan, allegations, conducting interviews, cote d ivoire, former strongman, haq, high commissioner, human rights team, insight, killings, laurent gbagbo, mass graves, militia, ohchr, political transition, president elect, spokesman, united nations, violent clashes, xinhua