Masked men rob post office in CroatiaMarch 17th, 2008 - 5:31 am ICT by admin
Split (Croatia), March 17 (DPA) A gang of masked and heavily-armed men robbed the main post office in the Croatian port city of Split and got away with the equivalent of up to $3 million in cash, local media reported Sunday evening. The heist occurred Saturday night, but authorities imposed an immediate news blackout, as a hunt got under way for the robbers.
Police declined to say how much money was stolen from the post office and how many were the robbers.
However, media reports speculated the gang of four or five men escaped with between 1.5 and 2 million euros ($2.3 to 3 million).
The gang taped and handcuffed three security personnel and four bank staff members before they raided the post office.
Police checkpoints were set up round the city and security camera recordings were being studied.
- Two held in Delhi, one in Ghaziabad for Chandigarh heist - Jan 16, 2011
- Thieves steal $2000 of gas in a Pasadena service station - May 12, 2011
- Croatia's football body fined over pro-Nazi chants - Jun 19, 2011
- Jewellery worth million stolen in Gujarat - Oct 17, 2010
- Truck carrying $6.5 mn in art works stolen in Spain - Dec 03, 2010
- Robbery bid at Indian bank in Trinidad and Tobago - Jun 11, 2012
- Rs.100 mn robbery in Chandigarh jewellery store (Second Lead) - Jan 13, 2011
- Robbers held after they bragged on Facebook - Apr 25, 2011
- 12 gangs identified in Karachi bank heists - Nov 27, 2011
- Croatian police clash with protesters - Feb 27, 2011
- Braveheart girl on Chandigarh cops' receiving end over FB comments - Sep 18, 2012
- Four pacts to be signed during Ansari's visit to Czech Republic, Croatia - Jun 05, 2010
- Protestor handcuffs himself to goal during Everton v Man City match - Feb 01, 2012
- NHRC issues notice to Tamil Nadu police on killings - Feb 24, 2012
- Gang of inter-state robbers busted - May 13, 2010