Marxist heads temple board in north KeralaOctober 2nd, 2008 - 7:39 pm ICT by IANS
Kozhikode, Oct 2 (IANS) Marxist member K. Gopalakrishnan will head the newly constituted Malabar Devaswom Board, which will administer all temples in north Kerala.Gopalakrishnan was nominated by the ruling Communist Party of India-Marxist (CPI-M).
Six members of the nine-member board are nominated by Hindu ministers in the state cabinet, while three others are nominated by Hindu legislators.
Around 1,600 temples in the northern districts from Palakkad to Kasargod and parts of Thrissur will come under the administrative control of the new board.
With the formation of the board, the Hindu Religious and Charitable Endowment Department which is currently administering these temples will cease to exist. All the employees under the department will be absorbed in service by the board.
Addressing the function, Kerala Devaswom Minister G. Sudhakaran said that around 25,000 acres belonging to various temples in Malabar region had gone out of the control of the temples due to mismanagement.
“The new board will take back this land and some people are opposing this. It is these people who are against the constitution of the board,” the minister added.
He said the new board will ensure better working conditions for the temple workers.
Kerala already has devaswom boards to administer temples in south Kerala and in Kochi region.
- Kerala High Court wants 'truth' behind Makara Jyothi light (Lead) - Jan 20, 2011
- CPI-M demands case, probe against Congress MP - Jun 30, 2012
- Rs.520 monthly pension for HIV-AIDS infected in Kerala - Nov 30, 2011
- People will give us another mandate: Achuthanandan - Apr 13, 2011
- Govt.'s move to allow more FDI in agri sector will hurt farmer's interests: Karat - Apr 01, 2011
- Court asks for revised reports on Sabarimala stampede - Jan 24, 2011
- Kerala temple's elephants enjoy a break - Jul 02, 2011
- Is Makara Jyothi light man-made or not: Court to Kerala government - Jan 20, 2011
- CPI-M seeks action on lawmaker's remark against judiciary - Feb 13, 2011
- Hindu or Christian, for Kerala kids it's Vidyarambham - Oct 06, 2011
- Action sought against another CPI-M leader - Jun 26, 2012
- Sachar committee member demands creation of Indian Waqf Service - Jul 11, 2011
- Achuthanandan offers all assistance to victims (Lead, changing dateline) - May 22, 2010
- Kerala making arrangements to bring bodies home: Minister (Second lead) - May 22, 2010
- Congress MP demands reprobe into 1994 Kerala firing - Oct 16, 2011