Markets turn negative on weak global cues (Roundup)February 2nd, 2009 - 6:41 pm ICT by IANS
Mumbai, Feb 2 (IANS) Indian equities markets closed in the red Monday, giving up nearly half of last week’s gain as global markets slackened. A key index ended trade 3.79 percent lower than its previous close.The sensitive index (Sensex) of the Bombay Stock Exchange (BSE) closed at 9,066.7 points, 3.79 percent or 357.54 points down from its previous close.
At closing, the S&P CNX Nifty index of the National Stock Exchange (NSE) was at 2,766.65 points, 3.76 percent down from its Friday close of 2,874.8 points.
The BSE midcap index was down 1.55 percent, while the BSE smallcap index lost 1.53 percent over its previous close.
There was only one gainer on the 30-share Sensex - Hindustan Unilever (up a marginal 0.17 percent at Rs.261.60).
Among top losers were, Jaiprakash Associates (down 13.7 percent at Rs.65.80), DLF (down 13.54 percent at Rs.153.20) and Reliance Infra (down 10.5 percent at Rs.521.15).
Market sentiment was negative with 1,577 stocks declining, 867 scrips advancing and 83 remaining unchanged.
Spice Telecom’s scrip saw high volumes of trade with indications that promoter B.K. Modi was firming up plans to take over the troubled IT giant Satyam Computer Services.
About 26 million shares of Spice Telecom changed hands with the stock gaining a whopping 68.9 percent to close the day at Rs.80.65.
Satyam’s scrip was also up 6.57 percent and closed at Rs.57.60.
In Asian markets, a key Japanese index, the Nikkei of the Tokyo Stock Exchange, closed 1.5 percent lower at 7,873.98 points.
The Hang Seng, a key index of the Hong Kong Stock Exchange, ended 3.14 percent lower than its last close.
- Sensex down 46 points; oil and gas, IT stocks fall (Roundup) - Sep 18, 2012
- Sensex closes 243.45 points lower (Second Lead) - Mar 15, 2012
- Sensex closes 47 points down, metal, capital goods stocks slump (Roundup) - Aug 28, 2012
- Sensex closes flat; metal, healthcare stocks gain (Lead) - Sep 10, 2012
- Sensex sheds early gains, down 16 points (Lead) - Jul 04, 2012
- Sensex extends losses on week European cues (Lead) - Jul 11, 2012
- Sensex plunges 277 points on weak global cues (Roundup) - Apr 23, 2012
- Sensex down 43 points, IT stocks fall - Sep 04, 2012
- Sensex down 31 points, banking, realty stocks fall - Aug 27, 2012
- Sensex crosses 18,000 points on positive European cues (Roundup) - Sep 12, 2012
- Sensex closes 204 points down amid negative global cues (Roundup) - Aug 02, 2011
- Sensex flat as traders take a breather after rally (Roundup) - Feb 16, 2012
- Sensex closes 17 points down on growth worries (Roundup) - Jul 06, 2012
- Sensex tanks 281 points (Lead) - Jul 23, 2012
- Sensex trades flat, auto, banking stocks down (Lead) - Aug 13, 2012