Markets take a dive, weak trading predicted (Lead)January 20th, 2009 - 2:17 pm ICT by IANS
Mumbai, Jan 20 (IANS) Indian equities markets took a nosedive a little before noon Tuesday with a key index falling by about 2.61 percent over its previous close.The sensitive index (Sensex) of the Bombay Stock Exchange (BSE), which opened Tuesday at 9,159.76 points against the previous close at 9,329.57, was ruling at 9,085.93 points.
At this level, the Sensex was down 243.64 points or 2.61 percent from Monday’s close.
The broader S&P CNX Nifty index of the National Stock Exchange was also in a slump, ruling at 2,772.55 points, a loss of 2.59 percent over its previous close.
There were not many gainers on the Sensex at the time. ITC and computer giant TCS were the two performers while the other 28 stocks of the 30-component Sensex were trading in the negative terrain.
Top losers included Bharti Airtel, ICICI Bank, HDFC and Reliance Communications.
Sentiments remained weak in other Asian markets, with the Nikkei, a key index of the Tokyo Stock Exchange, losing 3.07 percent. The Hang Seng, a key index of the Hong Kong Stock Exchange, shed 3.33 percent over its last close.
- Sensex rises 439.22 points; bank, metal stocks up - Jul 02, 2012
- Sensex reverses losses, closes 107 points higher (Roundup) - Feb 01, 2012
- Sensex closes 148 points down (Lead) - Jul 09, 2012
- Markets still in a slump (Second Lead) - Jan 20, 2009
- Sensex down 40 points, metal, consumer durable stocks falls - Aug 28, 2012
- Sensex closes 138 points lower, ignores positive global cues - Aug 25, 2011
- Sensex rises 66 points; metal, IT stocks up (Lead) - Jul 18, 2012
- Sensex ends in green; FMCG, auto stocks rally (Lead) - Apr 10, 2012
- Sensex rises 52 points, health care, consumer durables up - Jul 16, 2012
- Sensex slumps 223 points on rate hike, weak global cues (Roundup) - Jul 28, 2011
- Sensex closes 105 points up, at three-week high (Roundup) - Mar 14, 2012
- Sensex ends 133 points higher on hopes of rate cuts - Apr 12, 2012
- Sensex rises 22 points; FMCG, consumer durable stocks up - Jul 24, 2012
- Sensex snaps three-day rally, slips almost 300 points - Sep 09, 2011
- Indian equities markets down, Sensex edges lower (Roundup) - Jul 15, 2011