Markets stay in the red as global cues weaken (Lead)February 11th, 2009 - 1:40 pm ICT by IANS
The 30-scrip sensitive index (Sensex) of the Bombay Stock Exchange (BSE) was at 9,503.68 points, 1.49 percent or 143.79 points lower than Tuesday’s close. It had opened at 9,462.14 points, lower than its last close of 9,647.47-points.
At the same time, the broader-based S&P CNX Nifty index of the National Stock Exchange (NSE) was ruling at 2,897.15 points, 1.27 percent below its previous close at 2,934.5.
Broader market indices were down with the BSE midcap index trading 0.37 percent lower and the BSE smallcap losing 0.08 percent.
Of the 13 sectoral indices on the BSE, only that for car companies was up.
Leading the gainers’ list on the Sensex at this time were Maruti Suzuki (up 1.28 percent to Rs.616), NTPC (up 1.08 percent to Rs.182.15), Reliance Communications (up 0.7 percent to Rs.172.85) and Ranbaxy Laboratories (up 0.13 percent to Rs.233.15).
Among losing scrips were Reliance Infra (down 3.75 percent to Rs.541.40), Tata Steel (down 3.25 percent to Rs.190.55), DLF (down 2.95 percent to Rs.148.00), and Mahindra and Mahindra (down 2.19 percent to Rs.277.30).
In other Asian markets, a key Japanese index, the Nikkei of the Tokyo Stock Exchange, was ruling at 7,945.94 points, 0.29 percent lower than its previous close.
The Hang Seng, a key index of the Hong Kong Stock Exchange, was 3.19 percent below its last close.
In the US, the $838-billion economic recovery package passed by the Senate in a 61-to-37 vote, failed to stimulate American markets, which ended trade in the red. The blue-chip Dow Jones Industrial Average fell 4.62 percent or 381.99 points to close at 7,888.88 points.
The broader Standard and Poor’s 500 Index slipped 4.91 percent or 42.73 points to 827.16. The technology-heavy Nasdaq Composite Index dipped 4.2 points, or 66.83 percent, to 1,524.73.
- Sensex closes 74 points higher (Lead) - Apr 02, 2012
- Sensex closes 105 points lower, realty, bank stocks slump (Second Lead) - Aug 27, 2012
- Sensex down 39 points - Aug 16, 2012
- Sensex slips 136 points, consumer durables, banking stocks lose (Lead) - Mar 28, 2012
- Markets under pressure, Sensex closes 168 points down (Roundup) - Mar 01, 2012
- Sensex down 58 points, realty, banks stocks slump (Lead) - Aug 27, 2012
- Sensex continues to trade lacklustre, RIL soars (Lead) - Jan 18, 2012
- Sensex closes 37 points up (Roundup) - Jul 05, 2012
- Sensex down 31 points, banking, realty stocks fall - Aug 27, 2012
- Sensex closes in red on weak European cues (Roundup) - Aug 08, 2012
- Sensex plunges 277 points on weak global cues (Roundup) - Apr 23, 2012
- Sensex trades flat after early gains (Lead) - Sep 13, 2012
- Sensex closes in red (Second Lead) - Aug 08, 2012
- Sensex falls for second week on earnings and negative cues (Weekly Market Review) - May 05, 2012
- Sensex closes 104 points down, realty, bank stocks slump (Roundup) - Aug 27, 2012