Markets slip back into red (Lead)March 4th, 2009 - 1:52 pm ICT by IANS
Mumbai, March 4 (IANS) Indian equities markets, which opened in the green Wednesday, slipped back into the red around noon with a key index 0.46 percent below its last closing figure.
The Bombay Stock Exchange (BSE) Sensitive Index (Sensex), which opened at 8,473.25 points, was at 8,376.95 points, 0.6 percent or 50.34 points lower than its previous close.
Similarly, the S&P CNX Nifty index of the National Stock Exchange (NSE) was at 2,617.9 points, 0.23 percent below its last close of 2,622.4.
The BSE midcap index was 0.36 percent lower, while the BSE smallcap index was down 0.42 percent.
Of the 13 sectoral indices on BSE, the index for metal and realty stocks gained the most.
Among the gainers on the Sensex were Hindalco, up 3.35 percent at Rs.38.55; Sterlite Industries, up 2.52 percent at Rs.244; ACC, up 1.74 percent at Rs.539.30, and Grasim, up 1.68 percent at Rs.1,385.
The losers were ICICI, down 2.94 percent to Rs.287.70; HDFC, down 2.79 percent at Rs.1,166.90; BHEL, down 2.12 percent at Rs.1,366; and RIL, down 1.46 percent at Rs.1,181.60.
In other Asian markets, a key Japanese index, the Nikkei of the Tokyo Stock Exchange, closed at 7,290.96, gaining 0.85 percent over its previous close.
The Hang Seng, a key index of the Hong Kong Stock Exchange, was ruling 0.67 percent higher than its last close.
US stocks Tuesday continued falling to their lowest levels in more than a decade after government officials said more money would be required before the US financial sector could recover.
The blue-chip Dow Jones Industrial Average was down 37.27 points, or 0.55 percent, to 6,726.02.
The broader Standard and Poor’s 500 Index fell 4.49 points, or 0.64 percent, to 696.33, while the technology-heavy Nasdaq Composite Index dropped 1.84 points, or 0.14 percent, to 1,321.01.
- Sensex closes 148 points down (Lead) - Jul 09, 2012
- Sensex slips 136 points, consumer durables, banking stocks lose (Lead) - Mar 28, 2012
- Sensex down 89.56 points in noon trade - May 14, 2012
- Sensex slips 100 points; metal, telecom stocks slump - Apr 11, 2012
- Sensex closes 95 points up, IT realty stocks high (Second Lead) - Sep 11, 2012
- Sensex down 82 points as bank, oil and gas stocks tumble - Jul 20, 2012
- Sensex closes 129 points down on weak European cues (Roundup) - Jul 11, 2012
- Sensex trades lower; oil and gas, metal stocks down (Lead) - Aug 02, 2012
- Sensex declines 66 points, metal, consumer durables down - Jul 25, 2012
- Sensex down almost 75 points - Aug 02, 2012
- Sensex falls 57 points, metal consumer durable stocks down (Lead) - Jul 25, 2012
- Sensex closes 129 points down (Second Lead) - Jul 11, 2012
- Sensex declines 31 points, realty, capital goods stocks down - Jul 26, 2012
- Sensex closes 41 points lower, oil and gas, IT stocks down (Second Lead) - Sep 18, 2012
- Sensex rises 22 points; FMCG, consumer durable stocks up - Jul 24, 2012