Markets rise on basis of second stimulus package (Lead)January 5th, 2009 - 3:03 pm ICT by IANS
Mumbai, Jan 5 (IANS) Indian equities markets were trading in the green early Monday afternoon on the strength of the second economic stimulus package announced by the government Friday. The Sensex was more than two percent above its previous close.Shortly after noon, the sensitive index (Sensex) of the Bombay Stock Exchange (BSE) was up 1.51 percent or 149.99 points and was ruling at 10,108.21 points after opening higher than its previous close of 9,958.22 points.
Of the 13 sectoral indices on the BSE, predictably, banking stocks were the top performers as the sector has benefited most with Reserve Bank of India cutting key policy rates like cash reserve ratio, repo and reverse repo.
The BSE sectoral index for banks, BANKEX, was up 2.83 percent.
The broader S&P CNX Nifty index of the National Stock Exchange (NSE) was trading at 3,081.55 points, 1.14 percent up from its last close.
Other market indices like the BSE midcap index rose 1.73 percent over Friday’s close, while the smallcap index gained 1.59 percent.
Other Asian markets were also up, with the Nikkei, a key index of the Tokyo Stock Exchange, ending 2.07 percent higher than its previous close.
The Hang Seng, a key index of the Hong Kong Stock Exchange, also did well, rising 1.25 percent over its last close.
- Sensex falls 146 points, realty, metal stocks slump - Dec 28, 2011
- Sensex rebounds 101 points; banking stocks climb - Dec 30, 2011
- Sensex slumps 24 percent in 2011 (Roundup) - Dec 30, 2011
- Sensex down 46 points; oil and gas, IT stocks fall (Roundup) - Sep 18, 2012
- Sensex holds on to gains, metals, realty scrips gain - Mar 13, 2012
- Sensex drops 162.32 points as RBI rate cut hope fades away - Jun 18, 2012
- Sensex snaps 3-week losing streak; up 359 points (Weekly market review) - Aug 04, 2012
- Sensex falls 100 points on weak Asian cues - Apr 04, 2012
- Sensex closes 155 points lower (Second Lead) - May 02, 2011
- Sensex slumps 146 points on rates hike (Roundup) - Jun 16, 2011
- RBI's caution on inflation spooks markets (Second Lead) - Jan 25, 2011
- Sensex slumps 398 points on rates hike (Weekly market review) - Jun 18, 2011
- After rate hike, Sensex continues downtrend (Roundup) - Jul 27, 2011
- Sensex closes 180 points higher (Lead) - Jun 27, 2011
- Sensex closes 238 points lower (Lead) - Mar 15, 2012