Markets rise during mid-day trade (Lead)January 13th, 2009 - 1:42 pm ICT by IANS
Mumbai, Jan 13 (IANS) Indian equities markets, which opened weak Tuesday, rose during mid-day trading even as rumours built up that the government would reduce fuel prices as early as Thursday.A key index gained 0.49 percent over Monday’s close just before noon but trade remained volatile and analysts expected it to be range bound.
The sensitive index (Sensex) of the Bombay Stock Exchange (BSE) was up 44.77 points or 0.49 percent points little before noon Tuesday and was trading at 9,154.82 points.
The Sensex opened at 9,042.36 Tuesday, lower than its previous close of 9,110.05.
The broader S&P CNX Nifty index of the National Stock Exchange (NSE), however, moved up into green territory and was trading at 2,776.15, 0.14 percent higher.
Other market indices also fell with BSE’s midcap index trading 0.44 percent higher and the smallcap index gaining 0.47 percent.
Of the 13 sectoral indices on the BSE, only one - BANKEX, the sectoral index for banking stocks - was ruling negative.
Major gainers around noon included Infosys, which was up 5.14 percent at Rs.1,216 and Tata Power, up 3.31 percent at Rs.727.40.
Among top losers was another Tata firm, Tata Motors, down 3 percent at Rs.157.05 and Grasim Industries, down 2.5 percent at Rs.1,325.
Other Asian markets were also trading lower with Nikkei, a key index of the Tokyo Stock Exchange, falling sharply by 4.45 percent. The Hang Seng, a key index of the Hong Kong Stock Exchange, fell marginally, and was trading 0.07 percent lower than its last close.
- Sensex down 43 points, IT stocks fall - Sep 04, 2012
- Sensex declines 66 points, metal, consumer durables down - Jul 25, 2012
- Sensex closes 86 points higher; realty, IT index up (Roundup) - Sep 11, 2012
- Sensex rises 63 points; banking, metal stocks up - Aug 14, 2012
- Sensex down 86 points, capital goods stocks slump - Aug 30, 2012
- Sensex down 31 points, banking, realty stocks fall - Aug 27, 2012
- Sensex slips into red as IT stocks fall - Jan 12, 2012
- Sensex up 225.14 points, oil and gas stocks soar - Aug 06, 2012
- Sensex closes flat in choppy trade (Lead) - May 25, 2012
- RIL soars but fails to enthuse Sensex (Roundup) - Jan 18, 2012
- Sensex down 75 points, Jindal Steel slumps (Lead) - Aug 28, 2012
- Sensex closes 35 points down (Second Lead) - Aug 02, 2012
- Sensex ends 72 points down; metal, consumer durable stocks fall (Roundup) - Jul 25, 2012
- Sensex plunges over 200 points on inflation data (Lead) - Jun 14, 2012
- Sensex rises 49 points, realty, oil and gas high (Lead) - Sep 04, 2012