Markets rally smartly, close in the green (Roundup)February 6th, 2009 - 6:38 pm ICT by IANS
Mumbai, Feb 6 (IANS) Indian equities markets remained on an uptrend most of Friday and closed in the positive terrain, with a key index ending 2.31 percent over its previous close.The 30-scrip sensitive index (Sensex) of the Bombay Stock Exchange (BSE), which opened higher at 9,161.49 points, gained 209.98 points or 2.31 percent from the previous close to end trade at 9,300.86 points.
At the same time, the S&P CNX Nifty of the National Stock Exchange (NSE) closed up 2.27 percent to 2,843.1 points.
The BSE midcap index was up 1.43 percent, while the BSE smallcap index gained 1.05 percent over its previous close.
Of the 13 sectoral indices on the BSE, oil and gas and metal indices gained marginally while all other indices turned negative.
Top gainers among the scrips on the Sensex included Ranbaxy (up 7.08 percent at Rs.223.80), Grasim Industries (up 6.57 percent at Rs.1,413.35), Tata Motors (up 4.64 percent at Rs.137.60) and Reliance (up 4.41 percent at Rs.1,343.50).
Satyam, a stock which has been the centre of focus of one and all, gained marginally to close 2.49 percent higher than its last close at Rs.47.40.
Among losers on the Sensex were Hindustan Unilever (down 1.02 percent at Rs. 260.90) and DLF (down 0.86 percent at Rs.138.15).
The overall market sentiment was mixed with 1,459 stocks advancing, 1,002 scrips declining and 104 remaining unchanged.
In other Asian markets, a key Japanese index, the Nikkei of the Tokyo Stock Exchange, closed at 8,076.62 points, 1.6 percent higher than its previous close.
The Hang Seng, a key index of the Hong Kong Stock Exchange, ended 1.42 percent above its last close.
- Sensex pares Monday losses, closes 288 points up (Lead) - Feb 28, 2012
- Sensex closes 18 points higher (Lead) - Jul 03, 2012
- Sensex rises 1.3 percent; Rcom, ICICI Bank soar (Lead) - May 27, 2011
- Sensex rallies in last hour, closes 160 points higher (Lead) - Feb 09, 2012
- Sensex pares early gains, still 390 points up (Lead) - Sep 21, 2012
- Sensex closes 79 points high (Second Lead) - Jul 18, 2012
- Sensex up 76.94 points (Lead) - Apr 30, 2012
- Sensex closes flat (Lead) - Aug 01, 2012
- Sensex rises 202 points on positive global cues - Sep 07, 2011
- Sensex holds on to highs in afternoon trade (Lead) - Jan 03, 2012
- Sensex rallies 195 points; IT, realty stocks climb - Dec 26, 2011
- Sensex closes flat, technology stocks rise (Lead) - May 29, 2012
- Sensex starts week on strong footing - Feb 06, 2012
- Sensex rises 110 points; realty, banking stocks up - Jun 25, 2012
- Sensex closes 74 points higher (Lead) - Apr 02, 2012