Markets plummet as weak GDP numbers come in (Lead)February 27th, 2009 - 2:13 pm ICT by IANS
Mumbai, Feb 27 (IANS) Indian equities slipped Friday noon as the government announced that the economy grew only 5.3 percent in the third quarter, as compared to 9 percent in the same period a year ago. A key index was trading 2.11 percent lower than its previous close.
The 30-scrip Bombay Stock Exchange (BSE) sensitive index (Sensex), which opened at 8,944.11 points, was at 8,765.78 points shortly before noon, a fall of 189.08 points or 2.11 percent from its previous close.
Similarly, the S&P CNX Nifty of the National Stock Exchange (NSE) lost 2.38 percent from its last close to rule at 2,719.3 points.
The BSE midcap index was 0.67 percent lower, while the BSE smallcap index was down 0.31 percent.
Of the 13 sectoral indices on BSE, the index for consumer goods stocks gained the most.
There were only two gainers on the Sensex: HDFC (up 2.63 percent at Rs.1,243.50) and Tata Motors (up 0.83 percent at Rs.151.25).
Among the losers were ACC (down 5.57 percent to Rs.528.50), Mahindra and Mahindra (down 5.22 percent at Rs.304), TCS (down 4.68 percent at Rs.459.25) and Sterlite Industries (4.47 percent at Rs.241.70).
In other Asian markets, a key Japanese index, the Nikkei of the Tokyo Stock Exchange, closed at 7,568.42 adding 110.49 points to its previous close.
The Hang Seng, a key index of the Hong Kong Stock Exchange, was ruling 0.17 percent higher than its last close.
US stocks fell Wednesday after a reported sharp drop in home sales and the markets’ mixed response to the treasury department’s plan to stabilise the banking system.
The blue chip Dow Jones Industrial Average fell 80.05 points, or 1.09 percent, to 7,270.89. The broader Standard and Poor’s 500 Index shed 8.24 points or 1.07 percent to 764.9. The technology-heavy Nasdaq composite index dropped 16.4 points or 1.14 percent to 1,425.43.
- Sensex down 89.56 points in noon trade - May 14, 2012
- Sensex down; consumer durables, auto stocks fall - Jul 18, 2012
- Sensex up 100 points on firm Asian cues - Aug 23, 2012
- Sensex rises 87 points, power, IT stocks up - Jun 27, 2012
- Sensex trims gains; auto, oil and gas stocks down (Lead) - Jun 27, 2012
- Sensex closes 74 points down, realty, oil & gas stocks slump - Sep 03, 2012
- Sensex closes 105 points lower, realty, bank stocks slump (Second Lead) - Aug 27, 2012
- Sensex declines 66 points, metal, consumer durables down - Jul 25, 2012
- Sensex closes flat, oil and gas, auto stocks down (Second Lead) - Aug 23, 2012
- Sensex closes 16 points down (Second lead) - Jul 17, 2012
- Sensex closes 43 points high (Second lead) - Jul 24, 2012
- Sensex trades lower; oil and gas, metal stocks down (Lead) - Aug 02, 2012
- Sensex closes 129 points down (Second Lead) - Jul 11, 2012
- Sensex down 39 points - Aug 16, 2012
- Sensex up 144 points in noon trade - May 10, 2012