Markets pick up after shaky start (Second Lead)December 29th, 2008 - 4:34 pm ICT by IANS
Mumbai, Dec 29 (IANS) Indian equities markets shook off morning losses in afternoon trade Monday, with a key index trading 0.75 percent higher around 90 minutes before the closing bell.The sensitive index (Sensex) of the Bombay Stock Exchange (BSE) was trading at 9,398.765 points, a rise of 69.84 points or 0.75 percent from its Friday close of 9,328.92 points.
The broader S&P CNX Nifty index of the National Stock Exchange (NSE) also gained and was trading at 2,884.4 points, about 26.45 points or 0.95 percent higher than the previous close.
The market indices, however, showed mixed response, with the BSE smallcap index trading 0.17 percent lower and the midcap index rising by 0.41 percent.
Top gainers till the afternoon were Satyam Computers and Ranbaxy Laboratories.
Satyam shares rose handsomely as company officials signalled measures to tighten corporate governance guidelines, and a possible change in the management of the company, including the probable exit of the company founder, chairman B. Ramalinga Raju.
- Sensex rises 37 points; power, FMCG stocks up - Jun 28, 2012
- Sensex down 58 points, realty, banks stocks slump (Lead) - Aug 27, 2012
- Sensex up 75 points, investors take a breather (Roundup) - Feb 14, 2012
- Sensex rises 128 points, IT consumer durable stocks up (Lead) - Jul 19, 2012
- Sensex rises 63 points; consumer durable, realty stocks up - Jul 03, 2012
- Telecom scrips push Sensex higher - Feb 02, 2012
- Sensex ends flat, consumer durables gain (Lead) - Aug 23, 2010
- Sensex ends 72 points down; metal, consumer durable stocks fall (Roundup) - Jul 25, 2012
- Sensex slips below 20,000 points in early trade - Oct 18, 2010
- Sensex gains 146 points, auto banking stocks up (Lead) - Jul 10, 2012
- Sensex rises 31 points; oil and gas, PSU stocks up - Sep 13, 2012
- Choppy trading at Indian equities after outlook downgrade - Apr 26, 2012
- Sensex closes 56 points up, realty, oil and gas stocks rise (Roundup) - Sep 04, 2012
- Sensex continues to trade lacklustre, RIL soars (Lead) - Jan 18, 2012
- Sensex rises 49 points, realty, oil and gas high (Lead) - Sep 04, 2012