Markets on an upward crawl around noon (Lead)February 10th, 2009 - 1:28 pm ICT by IANS
Mumbai, Feb 10 (IANS) Indian equities markets crawled upwards Tuesday morning, with a key index gaining 0.77 percent by a little before noon, compared to its previous close.
The 30-scrip sensitive index (Sensex) of the Bombay Stock Exchange (BSE) was at 9,657.83 points, 0.77 percent or 73.94 points higher than Monday’s close. It had opened at 9,589.95 points, higher than its previous close at 9,583.89 points.
At the same time, the broader-based S&P CNX Nifty index of the National Stock Exchange (NSE) was at 2,933 points, 0.45 percent up from its previous close at 2,919.9.
Broader market indices were up with the BSE midcap index trading 1.22 percent higher and the BSE smallcap gaining 1.19 percent.
Of the 13 sectoral indices on the BSE, indices of banking and public sector companies were up.
Leading the gainers’ list on the Sensex at this time were DLF (up 6.51 percent to Rs.148.95), Mahindra and Mahindra (up 4.25 percent to Rs.285.95), HDFC Bank (up 3.4 percent to Rs.950.35) and Ranbaxy Laboratories (up 2.73 percent to Rs.233.70).
Among losing scrips were ONGC (down 1.28 percent to Rs.712.35), ITC (down 1.04 percent to Rs.181), Bharti Airtel (down 0.96 percent at Rs.659.40), and Tata Steel (down 0.48 percent to Rs.198.60).
In other Asian markets, a key Japanese index, the Nikkei of the Tokyo Stock Exchange, was ruling at 7,977.1 points, 0.1 percent higher than its previous close.
The Hang Seng, a key index of the Hong Kong Stock Exchange, was 0.37 percent below its last close.
US markets were flat with key indices ending trade around its last closing figures. The blue-chip Dow Jones Industrial Average fell marginally by 0.12 percent or 9.72 points to close at 8,270.87 points.
The broader Standard and Poor’s 500 Index crawled up a meagre 0.15 percent or 1.29 points to 869.89. The technology-heavy Nasdaq Composite Index dipped 0.15 points, or 0.01 percent, to 1,591.56.
- Sensex rises 87 points, power, IT stocks up - Jun 27, 2012
- Sensex rallies in last hour, closes 160 points higher (Lead) - Feb 09, 2012
- Sensex ends 133 points higher on hopes of rate cuts - Apr 12, 2012
- Sensex zooms 123 points up, FII interest intact (Roundup) - Feb 09, 2012
- Sensex slips 136 points, consumer durables, banking stocks lose (Lead) - Mar 28, 2012
- Sensex rises above 18,400 points; oil, auto stocks surge - Jun 27, 2011
- Sensex closes 74 points higher (Lead) - Apr 02, 2012
- Sensex slumps 110 points; IT, metal stocks down (Roundup) - Jul 16, 2012
- Sensex closes quiet as GDP numbers disappoint (Roundup) - Feb 29, 2012
- Sensex up 75 points, investors take a breather (Roundup) - Feb 14, 2012
- Sensex up 144 points in noon trade - May 10, 2012
- Sensex holds on to gains, but slips from 18,000 - Feb 29, 2012
- Sensex soars in afternoon trade (Lead) - May 31, 2011
- Benchmark indices subdued, midcaps rise - Feb 09, 2012
- Sensex closes 285 points higher despite dull global cues (Roundup) - Mar 21, 2012