Markets move north, Sensex gains 329 points (Roundup)January 27th, 2009 - 6:38 pm ICT by IANS
Mumbai, Jan 27 (IANS) Indian equities markets closed trade Tuesday in the green owing to short-covering by investors, with a key index gaining 3.8 percent over its previous close.The sensitive index of the Bombay Stock Exchange (Sensex) closed at 9,004.08 points, 3.8 percent or 329.73 points higher than its close Friday.
“A lot of short positions have been built in the markets, which led to a short-covering resulting in a rally. We would see more of these for the next two days,” said Jagannadham Thunuguntla, head of the capital markets arm and director of India’s fourth largest share brokerage firm, the Delhi-based SMC Group.
At the same time, the S&P CNX Nifty index of the National Stock Exchange was at 2,771.35 points, 3.46 percent higher than its previous close of 2,678.55.
Broader market indices were also up with the BSE midcap index going up 0.62 percent and the BSE smallcap index gaining 0.34 percent.
All 13 sectoral indices on the BSE ended in the positive terrain, with metal and power stocks leading the list.
Market sentiment was positive with 1,217 stocks advancing and 1,168 declining. Hundred stocks remained unchanged.
Of the 30 stocks comprising the Sensex, 28 scrips ended in the green. Among major gainers on the Sensex were Sterlite (up 11.84 percent at Rs.267.80), Reliance Infra (up 11.14 percent at Rs.539.60) and Reliance Communications (up 7.15 percent at Rs.171.60).
Top losers were Oil and Natural Gas Corp (down 3.84 percent at Rs.621) and Larsen and Toubro (down 0.41 percent at Rs.638.20).
In Asian markets, a key index of the Tokyo stock exchange, the Nikkei 225 Stock Average, was up 4.93 percent at 8,061.07 points.
However, the Hang Seng, a key index of the Hong Kong Stock Exchange, fell 0.63 percent over its last close.
- Sensex rallies 226 points on European cues (Roundup) - Jul 10, 2012
- Sensex rallies on global cues, closes 567 points higher - Aug 29, 2011
- Sensex closes 193 points up (Second Lead) - Aug 06, 2012
- Sensex continues to trade lacklustre, RIL soars (Lead) - Jan 18, 2012
- Sensex up 106.32 points; FMCG, oil stocks surge - Jun 19, 2012
- Sensex closes dull, IT, metal stocks lose (Second Lead) - Jan 18, 2012
- Sensex closes 111.32 points higher, auto stocks rally - Apr 19, 2012
- Sensex slumps 24 percent in 2011 (Roundup) - Dec 30, 2011
- Sensex up 225.14 points, oil and gas stocks soar - Aug 06, 2012
- FIIs' buying helps push Indian equities higher (Roundup) - Jun 01, 2011
- Sensex closes 148 points down (Lead) - Jul 09, 2012
- Sensex rises 196 points, oil and gas, auto stocks up (Lead) - Aug 06, 2012
- Sensex slips 100 points; metal, telecom stocks slump - Apr 11, 2012
- Sensex closes 44 points down (Lead) - Apr 11, 2012
- Sensex edges lower, negative global cues weigh (Roundup) - Jul 18, 2011