Markets in green on positive global cues (Lead)January 22nd, 2009 - 2:19 pm ICT by IANS
Mumbai, Jan 22 (IANS) Indian equities markets turned green Thursday as global markets showed some positive signs. Around noon, a key index was trading 0.98 percent higher than its previous close.The sensitive index of the Bombay Stock Exchange (Sensex) started at 8,905.97, points, higher than its 8,779.17-point close Wednesday and continued to hold on to gains, ruling at 8,864.8 points around noon.
At this time, the Sensex was 0.98 percent or 85.63 points higher than its previous close.
The S&P CNX Nifty index of the National Stock Exchange was at 2,723.4 points at the same time, 0.64 percent higher than its previous close of 2,706.15.
Of the 13 sectoral indices on the BSE, technology and banking indices were up while consumer durables was down 3.17 percent.
Other market indices like the BSE midcap index was also up 0.75 percent, while the small cap index rose 0.85 percent.
US stock indices rebounded Wednesday after massive losses that appeared more connected to faltering bank confidence than to the new President Barack Obama.
The technology-heavy Nasdaq Composite Index added 66.21 points, or 4.6 percent, to close at 1,507.07.
In Asian markets, a key index of the Tokyo stock exchange, the Nikkei 225 Stock Average was up 1.9 percent at 8,051.74.
The Hang Seng, a key index of the Hong Kong Stock Exchange, rose 1.71 percent over its last close.
- Sensex rises 154 points; auto, tech stocks climb - Oct 24, 2011
- Sensex up 1.03 percent in afternoon trade - Mar 25, 2011
- Sensex closes flat, broader indices gain (Second Lead) - Apr 07, 2011
- Sensex jumps 3 percent; metal, banking stocks rally - Oct 07, 2011
- Sensex ends 93 points higher; IT, consumer durable stocks up( Roundup) - Jul 19, 2012
- Markets open firm - Jan 22, 2009
- Telecom scrips push Sensex higher - Feb 02, 2012
- Sensex climbs 230 points; technology, realty stocks rise (Lead) - Dec 26, 2011
- Sensex reverses early losses, broader markets up too (Lead) - Apr 13, 2011
- Sensex consolidates, broader markets rise (Roundup) - Jul 04, 2011
- Sensex rises in afternoon trade, capital goods scrips lead - Mar 21, 2012
- Sensex slumps 389 points on reform concerns - Dec 08, 2011
- Markets under pressure, Sensex closes 168 points down (Roundup) - Mar 01, 2012
- Sensex closes 74 points higher (Lead) - Apr 02, 2012
- Sensex up for the third day, rises 38 points - Aug 01, 2012