Markets end with hefty gains as crude gets cheaperSeptember 2nd, 2008 - 7:27 pm ICT by IANS
Mumbai, Sep 2 (IANS) Indian equity markets closed with a hefty gain piggy-backing the fall in crude oil prices to $107 per barrel. Rate sensitive sectors such as banking, realty and auto stocks were in demand.Following strong global cues, the market started on an upswing and continued to rise steadily till afternoon trade and made maximum gains in the last hour.
The 30-share benchmark of the Bombay Stock Exchange (BSE) sensitive index (Sensex), which opened at 14,609.44 points, touched a high of 15,106.15 points before closing at 15,049.86 points. It went up 551.35 points or 3.80 percent at the day’s close.
The National Stock Exchange (NSE) S&P Nifty, which opened at 4,358.85 points, closed at 4,504 points. It went up 155.35 points or 3.57 percent.
The BSE Midcap index, which closed at 5,837.01 points, went up 95.03 points or 1.66 percent.
The BSE Smallcap index, which closed at 6,982.39 points, went up 91 points or 1.32 percent.
The market breadth was positive on the BSE, with 1,675 shares advancing, 986 declining and 72 maintaining status quo.
Top gainers of the day included State Bank of India, which at Rs.1,416 was up 7.44 percent, ICICI Bank at Rs.664.55 rose 7.34 percent, and DLF Ltd at Rs.494.55 increased 7.14 percent.
- Sensex closes 95 points up, IT realty stocks high (Second Lead) - Sep 11, 2012
- Sensex holds on to highs in afternoon trade (Lead) - Jan 03, 2012
- Sensex rallies in last hour, closes 160 points higher (Lead) - Feb 09, 2012
- Sensex pares Monday losses, closes 288 points up (Lead) - Feb 28, 2012
- Sensex holds on to gains, metals, realty scrips gain - Mar 13, 2012
- Sensex marginally up; metal, healthcare stocks rally - Sep 10, 2012
- Sensex starts week on strong footing - Feb 06, 2012
- Sensex pares early gains, still 390 points up (Lead) - Sep 21, 2012
- Sensex ruling moderately higher as rate cut hopes fade - Mar 12, 2012
- Markets close flat as traders await monetary policy (Lead) - Jan 23, 2012
- Sensex plunges 277 points on weak global cues (Roundup) - Apr 23, 2012
- Markets rise on CRR cut, Sensex closes tad below 17,000 (Third Lead) - Jan 24, 2012
- Sensex holds on to gains, but slips from 18,000 - Feb 29, 2012
- Indian equities shoot up in morning trade - Jan 03, 2012
- Sensex rises 150 points; oil and gas, banking stocks rally - Apr 03, 2012