Markets end with a marginal gain (Roundup)August 26th, 2008 - 6:43 pm ICT by IANS
Mumbai, Aug 26 (IANS)Indian equity markets ended the day with a marginal gain on the back of weak global cues. The market started on a negative note and continued to trade in red till Tuesday afternoon but came off the day’s low and ended the day on the positive zone.
The 30-share benchmark of the Bombay Stock Exchange (BSE) sensitive index (Sensex), which opened at 14,338.27 points, touched a high of 14,495.27 points before closing at 14,482.22 points. It went up by 31.87 points or 0.22 percent at the day’s close.
The National Stock Exchange (NSE) S & P Nifty, which opened at 4,335.20 points, closed at 4,337.50 points. It went up by 2.15 points or 0.05 percent.
The BSE Midcap index, which closed at 5,744.77 points, went up by 3.56 points or 0.06 percent.
However, the BSE Smallcap index, which closed at 6,912.62 points, went down by 9.63 points or 0.14 percent.
The market breadth was negative. On the BSE, 1,199 shares advanced, 1,389 declined and 104 maintained status quo.
Top gainers of the day included HDFC Bank at Rs.1,208.10 up 3.92 percent, Satyam Computers at Rs.393.30 up 3.25 percent, and Wipro at Rs.419.65 up 2.14 percent.
Top losers of the day included Reliance Industries at Rs.2,230.95 down 2.30 percent, Jaiprakash Associate at Rs.159.80 down 2.95 percent, and Tata Steel at Rs.585.60 down 1.37 percent.
- Sensex up marginally; bank, healthcare stocks gain - Sep 11, 2012
- Sensex closes at 34 points (Roundup) - Apr 18, 2012
- Sensex closes 86 points higher; realty, IT index up (Roundup) - Sep 11, 2012
- Sensex up 225.14 points, oil and gas stocks soar - Aug 06, 2012
- Sensex down 89.56 points in noon trade - May 14, 2012
- Sensex closes 193 points up (Second Lead) - Aug 06, 2012
- Sensex closes 129 points down; metal, power stocks slump (Roundup) - Jul 09, 2012
- Sensex tanks 120 points, metal, capital goods stocks down - Sep 05, 2012
- Sensex 52 points up; IT, power stocks high (Lead) - Sep 11, 2012
- Sensex closes 74 points down; auto, realty stocks slump - Nov 14, 2011
- Sensex closes 95 points up, IT realty stocks high (Second Lead) - Sep 11, 2012
- Sensex closes 45 points down, realty, oil and gas stocks fall (Lead) - Sep 03, 2012
- Sensex up 144 points in noon trade - May 10, 2012
- Indian markets rally for sixth straight week (Weekly market review) - Feb 12, 2012
- Sensex closes 0.2 percent higher at 17,392.39 points (Intro Roundup) - Apr 18, 2012