Markets end in the red after 2 days of gains (Roundup)August 27th, 2008 - 8:16 pm ICT by IANS
Mumbai, Aug 27 (IANS) After two days of marginal gains, Indian equity markets again ended in the red Wednesday on the back of rising crude oil prices and weak global cues. Realty, banking, energy and capital goods stocks led the decline.
The 30-share benchmark of the Bombay Stock Exchange (BSE) sensitive index (Sensex), which opened firm at 14,563.10 up from the previous close of 14,482.22, touched a low of 14,261.69 points before closing at 14,296.79 points.
It fell by 185.43 points or 1.28 percent by the day’s close.
The National Stock Exchange (NSE) S&P Nifty, which opened at 4,336.85 points, closed at 4,292.10 points. It fell 45.40 points or 1.05 percent.
The BSE Midcap index, which closed at 5,686.43 points, fell 58.34 points or 1.02 percent.
BSE Smallcap index, which closed at 6859.91 points, fell 52.71 points or 0.76 percent.
The market breadth was negative. On the BSE, 1,239 shares declined, 877 advanced and 92 remained unchanged.
The top gainers of the day included Hindalco, Tata Steel, Infosys Tech and Mahindra and Mahindra, while DLF, Reliance Infrastructure, State Bank of India and ICICI Bank were the top losers.
- Sensex tanks 244 points as RBI keeps rates unchanged (Roundup) - Jun 18, 2012
- Sensex falls 59 points as bearish mood prevails (Lead) - May 10, 2012
- Sensex down 89.56 points in noon trade - May 14, 2012
- Sensex closes 105 points lower, realty, bank stocks slump (Second Lead) - Aug 27, 2012
- Sensex closes 67 points down as bearish mood prevails (Roundup) - May 09, 2012
- Bank stocks tank as hopes of RBI rate-cut fade away (Lead) - Jun 18, 2012
- Sensex loses 367 points; IT, bank, auto stocks hit (Roundup) - May 08, 2012
- Sensex up 144 points in noon trade - May 10, 2012
- Sensex closes at 34 points (Roundup) - Apr 18, 2012
- Sensex rises 97 points, IT stocks up - Aug 21, 2012
- Sensex closes below 1,6000-mark (Lead) - May 23, 2012
- Sensex falls 146 points, realty, metal stocks slump - Dec 28, 2011
- Sensex slides 320 points to close below 17,000 (Roundup) - May 04, 2012
- Sensex closes 244 points down as RBI rate cut hopes fade (Second Lead) - Jun 18, 2012
- Sensex falls on global economic growth worries - Jul 06, 2012