Market watchdog meets minister over Satyam scamJanuary 10th, 2009 - 10:14 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Jan 10 (IANS) India’s capital market regulator C.B. Bhave met Corporate Affairs Minister P.C. Gupta Saturday evening to discuss the ongoing investigations into the Rs.70 billion (Rs.7,000-crore) Satyam accounting scam, a ministry official said.“The ministry and SEBI (Securities Exchange Board of India) are jointly probing the Satyam scandal. Bhave has met the minister to discuss the developments that have unfolded of late,” he added.
Earlier Saturday, Satyam’s disgraced founder B. Ramalinga Raju and his brother B. Rama Raju were sent to jail by the VI Additional Chief Metropolitan Magistrate in Hyderabad till Jan 23.
The Raju brothers were arrested Friday night.
The government had intervened Friday to supersede the Satyam board. Announcing this, company affairs minister Gupta said at a press conference: “The government should be allowed to appoint 10 nominee directors for the company. The new board has to meet within the next seven days.
“The Company Law Board has already issued an order to the existing directors of the board restraining them from exercising their functions and the order becomes effective immediately,” the minister had added.
A SEBI team has been conducting the probe into the fraud since Thursday and checked the books of accounts at Satyam offices in Hyderabad.
Sleuths of the Criminal Investigation Department (CID) of Andhra Pradesh police grilled Raju and his brother for over three hours Friday night.
- Government moves to clean up Satyam mess (Roundup) - Jan 10, 2009
- Satyam officials issued notices as CBI drags case - Sep 19, 2011
- Govt. orders Serious Fraud Investigation Office to probe Satyam scandal - Jan 13, 2009
- Satyam case: no bail for Raju, seven others - Aug 30, 2011
- Fraud-hit Satyam gets three new board members (Lead) - Jan 11, 2009
- SEBI alerts investors about risky market - Jan 14, 2011
- Satyam founders asked to furnish bank, asset details (Roundup) - Jan 21, 2009
- Satyam brass questioned, three new board members named (Roundup) - Jan 11, 2009
- Stage set for Mahindra Satyam's merger - Mar 20, 2012
- Satyam's new board to meet Monday, officer jailed (Intro Roundup) - Jan 11, 2009
- Satyam's Ramalinga Raju, two others get bail - Nov 04, 2011
- Mahindra Satyam, Tech Mahindra Ltd merge - Mar 21, 2012
- Market regulator may finally get to grill Satyam ex-chief - Jan 15, 2009
- Satyam hunts for CEO, PM briefed on developments (Intro Roundup) - Jan 13, 2009
- PM reviews government response on Satyam scam - Jan 13, 2009